Having fun playing in the dirt

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I got all my skid steer work done that was needed on the farms. I must say I am pretty happy with my Dewalt rotating laser. It holds calibration right on even in windy conditions. My best friend has asked for my help in there farming operation. I been using the old Deere 410 backhoe to clear out old logs and debree left from the rising creek. There new John Deere 8330 has been on the 40' anhydrous tool bar and also pulling the new to them 12 row splitter planter. I have been keeping chemical and water to the Rogator sprayer. A new Rogator is on order with the acusteer system installed. On our farms we have three different farmers taking care of it all. We really dont have that many acres but it just worked out that way. Anyway one of the farmers according to dad has one of the new articulated Cat tractors and two new articulated Deere tractors. He has three tractors working ground at the same time in the same fields. They did have three old Steigers which I must say was impressive to watch. Anyway hope to be able to get some pics if they dont have our two near by farms done before i get home from work. It wont take long with the iron there run. I have been doing a little disking also. You know I have spent allot of hours in the past 3 weeks working and I must say I love every minute of it. Even made plenty of time for sweetie. :cool2:

2. Fieldman12

I forgot to mention If you know anyone considering getting the new 3 light Xenon HID light option for the new Deere 8030 series tell them it is well worth the $5,000.00 to see where your at. Not sure why he bought it though if he goes to the auto trac steering. It looks like your in the daytime.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Cat > Deere (articulated tractors)? What's the verdict on the big ones?

4. Fieldman12

I hope to find out more from them this week when they pull in as long as Im there. They are at some neighboring farms now. They have run Cat tractors on tracks in the past and three old Steigers. I know last year one of the Steigers was traded in for a 9520 Deere. I hope to see more. They have three 580 R Cat combines.

5. Fieldman12

They picked up the 3rd Cat combine last fall. They had three 9600 combines before that.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i almost bought a Steiger this winter...the guy wouldn't drop down $1000 so i walked...he never came after me so i guess he sold it. They are somewhat cheap very high horse power tractors...i would have loved to own the thing, it had a reman CAT engine in it with only a few thousands hours on her...oh well, good thing i didn't get it or we would have had to cut all the limbs on the farm so the thing could pass under the trees

currently the high bidder on a decent John Deere 2040 so hopefully i end up getting it...little smaller tractor so we don't burn as much fuel tedding and raking with the 4020 or 886

7. Fieldman12

I love the old Steiger tractors. The new Deere's are great and Im sure the Cat's will be good also but I kinda wish the farm would have kept the Steiger tradition going. I hope dad knew what he was talking about. If anyone would have one of the new Cat articulated tractors in the area it would be them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfpeiK6IwPc&feature=related

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i would like to get behind the wheel of one of those new Agcos for a day or two with their automatic trannys (same as CAT i believe) but we don't do enough tillage to constitute something that big...plus anything that wide we would need to make double gates instead of the singles we have now...such is life...post some pics if you can, i haven't seen a Steiger in the fields for a few years now

9. Fieldman12

Yeah if it has the Challenger name on the side it is owned by AGCO but Cat does the service along with many cat components on the machine. I will see what I can do about some pics.

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

dirt digger we a 2040 and 2240,i love these tractors more than i can say the simplicity the visibility at the rear ,the versatility ,just about the best utility machine I've found for tilling smaller areas and brush cutting,tight areas were a larger machine slows you down,hope you get it ,you will really love it.