having problem going up hills w/ my belt drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luke125, Feb 20, 2004.

1. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

i have a toro belt and it can't get up hill as good as it use to
    its not even a year old
    could i tighten the belt some how
    i need some help on this before mowing season comes up

it a 44" floating deck w/ a 15kaw

2. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I RUN BELT DRIVE BOBCATS AND WE HAVE TO ADJUST THEM OR REPLACE WORN BELTS.NEVER RAN A TORO SO IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT ADJUSTING THEM.TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER THEY'LL SHOW YOU. ALSO CHECK THE INSIDE OF THE BACK WHEELS AND MAKE SURE THE BELT THINGIES WHERE THE BELT RIDES ARE NOT DISTORTED FROM HITTING THEM ON CURBS ETC. MAKE SURE PULLIES ARE CLEAN ALSO.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

We have some real mechanical wizards here don't we? LOL

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Belt thingies....so that's what those are!!!!

5. Toro52

Toro52 LawnSite Member
    from PA

i have the same problem, one of my traction belts vroke last season so i replaced both of them, then a month later it would not climb hills, i was wondering why they were going so fast and adjusted the t-bar adjustment, but it kept getting worse. I went to my dealer and he said there is a bolt under the transmission that can slide in and out if you loosen it up and it will fix the problem. I havent tried it yet and am not sure how to do it but you might want to look into it.

6. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice guys

7. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

Luke, ther are 2 adjusting rods on either side of the handles. Remove the wing nut, push the rod out of its holding notch, turn the rod so that it lengthens, place the rod back into the hole and replace the wing nut. This will give you more tension on the drive belts and should solve your problem. You might take a few times to get it just right.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, after you have the belts properly adjusted (not overtightened), go down to the automotive store, and get yourself a can of what is called belt dressing. There are several different brands, and Permatex is one of them. With this belt dressing, you are only going to squirt a SMALL AMOUNT on each belt. You only need to cover about a half inch of the belt, as it distributes when the belt goes around. The only thing is, is BE CAREFUL when you first run your mower, because it will act NOTHING like you've experienced with your mower, before. It will be so responsive, that it will literally "jump" when you let out the handles. I guarantee your mower will walk up any hill that the tires get traction on. I hope this helps.

9. Gabriel Turf

Gabriel Turf LawnSite Member