1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

having problem with business name please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rats5656, Jan 22, 2002.

?

what should i do

Poll closed Jan 26, 2002.
  1. keep name

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. find new name close to old name

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. come up wth new name

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  4. trash old name

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

my problem is that there are as many 10 other different companys out there with the same name that i have for my business name and want to now know wanto do i wanto have a business name that's real goodand . should i keep the same name as the other companys or come up with one that is diffent or check to see if the company are in my state or county are in inc. or if iam able to keep the name and use the name still .+
    +
    so what do i do

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So what's the name????:confused:

3. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

nature's green landscaping

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, how about what I almost used, Mike's Lawn Care. DUH. I like that name, but if you have locals that are using it already, there will be issues, and how about a website if you grow, you dont want your potential customers to find someone elses website and accidentally hire the other guy!

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Out where? If they are in your state and you have had your name longer than them and it's registered then don't change. If they have been around longer than you then you may need to change. I assume all 10 are in your local area?

6. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

i mean so far that i found in all across usa notonly n mystate there 1-2 in my state or close bye

7. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I would keep the name unless you find out it is already registered in your state. Especially if it is being used by a corp. or LLC.
    There could be some legal issues and liability issues depending on your states laws.

8. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

Never underestimate the power of using your own name for a business. That is unless your name is something like "John Smith" which wouldn't be all that distinctive.

9. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Why not change it to NATURAL GREEN or just NATURAL LANDSCAPE.
    Maybe a little bit of modification will do it.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you choose for the new name, be sure that (like your current name) it says what you do in the name. People should be able to see a business card, your truck, or hear your business name and instantly know what it is you do.

Names like Williams and Associates, The Johnson Company, and J&R Enterprises don't tell anyone anything. Those names are useless.

Stick to XX Landscaping or XX Landscape Services or XX Grounds Maintenance. Whatever. Just be sure people know what you do when they hear or see your name.

The name you have now, by the way, is great. But if others are using it, you gotta change it. You can't create a brand image with a name that several other companies also have. You want to be unique.