Having problems with my Billygoat truck loader clogging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Apr 25, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I been running my billygoat now for near three years. Last fall it clogged like a muther effer. The debries would just clog up in the hose. And I would have to remove it and shake it out ever ten minutes. I made up all kind of 4 letter word phrases. It didnt matter if the leaves where wet or not. We mow them down real fine then vacume them up if we can, saves room in the truck. I think I need a new turbine blade, the engine runs great got a honda on it. If any one has a solution please please let me know before fall! I hate to have to buy a new blade if I dont have too $$$

2. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

You can try spraying some WD-40 thru the tube while it's idling on low. Spray for 20-30 secs. Should keep the leaves and debris moving through the tube. What HP engine do you have?

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Check to see if the hose is flattened in any spots this has happened to us b4 and that cloggs the machine alot. OR maybe your impellar is worn and is not giving the right suction. Our loader never works with fine leaves that are chopped up by the mowers but we only have an 8 hp on our loader and a really worn imppellar(12yrs old). We rake our leaves to the hose so not too much get sucked up at once it seems to work better

4. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Just bought the 16HP BG Truck Load this year. Used it a few weeks ago in a big clean-up job. It handled dry-damp leaves, small twigs/sticks, and pine needles no problem. We made sure to pull any large sticks out of the piles as those will seem to clog any loader.

It tended to loose suction if the hose was bent at a 90 degree angle to the loader. However, we just straightened out the hose gave it a few shakes and we were off and running again. It worked well in a large stone bed. We were able to suck all of the leaf and debris from the stone bed without disturbing the stone. Worked well.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

My 16hp LW doesn't seem to suck up the chopped up leaves that are collected with the mower as well. I guess there is a lot more density in a pile of already chopped/mulched leaves than with a pile of dry leaves. Have to suck up those piles a little slower to avoid clogging.

I agree with DJL that keeping the hose as straight as possible helps.

6. barringtonbrothers

I think my impeller is worn, but its only 3 years old. Has a 6hp honda, worked great new, thinking about buying a bigger one. Are you guys happy with the 16hp? I have the been looking at the little wonder truck loader too. I wish I had a dump bed, save me a lot of time unloading the truck, I put a big tarp in the bed and load on top of it, when I get the top leaves off, i pull the tarp out with the rest.

7. barringtonbrothers

mines not 6hp but 11hp duh

8. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

FYI, if anyone is interested, we use our 16HP debris loader with our 14' dump trailer. It has a custom made mesh tarp frame that I can pack in (according to my calculations and estimations) approximately 15 yards of debris.

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I scrubed out and welded some stove pipe together for my chute.
    shredded leaves go through it like @#$% through a goose.
    11 hp honda as well.