1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

having to quit half way through the lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerKing10, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was working solo today since my helper was not able to come and work so I was out mowing 2 lawns ( neighbors) and then I was trimming one and these huge thunder storms pop out of no where. How do you explain to them that I had to pack my stuff up and run to the truck because it was so bad I couldnt even finish the other lawns backyard or trim and blow? they are understanding most of the time but it looks really bad ... the lawns were so tall grass was everywhere...any help is apppreciated

2. Storm the Patriot

Storm the Patriot LawnSite Member

Its funny this is brought up...I HATE having to do this...It is more of an obsessive compulsive thing with me...It really irritates me and i actually worry about it on a potential rainy day that if i start im going to have to stop. I just cant stand it being half done.

I suppose you will just have to explain and more then likely they will understand...if not then they are not that great of a customer anyway.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

just explain to them what happened they should be understanding. when i have lawns next to each other and there is a chance of rain i trim them both then mow one all the way before i start the next. then i blow both at the same time. that way if it starts to rain i only have 1 half mowed lawn not 2

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Just communicate with your customer. They should understand. Weather is weather - no one mows in driving rain/high wind/lightning situations.

5. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

get weatherbug on your phone and check the radar if it looks like rain.. i have my guys do this so they never get wet half way thru a yard

6. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

This is ironic, because I had the same thing happen to me today. I have three lawns all in one spot that I do together. When I pulled up the sun was shining, about halfway through a little drizzle, a few minutes later it was like standing under Niagra Falls. I grabed the rain coat and kept going. All but the trimming was done on two of the yards and the third one I had to call it when the water was over the sidewalk and coming into the yard. I've never seen it rain like that here. In my case the last guy was home, he called me a crazy idiot (jokingly) and said he woul dsee me tomorrow. All was good.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

check with your local news channel's websites. Often times there will be an option to receive free weather alerts sent via text message to your cellphone. Select your county along with some other surrounding counties and if any storms come in through the day, you'll be notified through text there's a storm in the next county heading your way.

8. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

I get weather alerts on my phone, around here they are pretty much useless. Checking the radar on weather bug doesn't help me out either, the radar doesn't show anything into the mountains, even if it did a storm could hang up on the range for a day or more before breaking through. When it does break through it could blow past in a matter of minutes or get caught in an inversion and be here for a day or more. Good tips for others though.

9. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Just explain to your customer. No one in their right mind would expect you to work out doors during a electrical storm. I have worked in the poring rain, but I call it quits when I see lightning or hear thunder.

10. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just leave. If I see the customer, I tell them "I'll be back".