Having trouble getting business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

Im new to the business, about a year or so. Been doing residential accounts, and do great work---how can i get more business?

2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

does your town have a weekly bargin paper , check out there rates ,most people look in them for deals ,rather than major papers , my first yr i only had 30 accounts ,it doubled after that ad.flyers never worked for me but i still pass them out ,ya never know. word of mouth will help out to. always wave to people who watch you mow .i picked up 4 accounts buy always waving to the old ladies on the block good luck

3. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

I agree with Traman. Word of mouth will get you a lot of jobs. There are so many ways to advertise. I have my logo in the back window of my truck and on the back of my trailer. I wear T-shirts with my logo that I printed using Avery Dark T-Shirt software that I purchased from Walmart. Like Traman mentioned, I wave at everyone and make every effort to present a professional appearance. You said you do good work. If that is true and the property lends curb appeal after your work is done, the work will come to you. When you stop by the nursery or landscape supply center, ask if you can leave some business cards there. I post business cards in the grocery stores. I keep flyers in my truck, so if anyone happens to stop at a job that I'm working on, I give them a card and a flyer showing them what services I can provide. I am a solo operator (small venture compared to the full timers here) and don't advertise in the phone book or newspaper, but stay very busy. Pricing is also important. My first year I had some hard lessons learned with underbidding jobs. Not trying to get off the subject of how to get more jobs, but underbidding will get you more problem related jobs than positive income. I have a minimum requirement I need per hour to maintain equipment and allow what I consider to be a profit margin. I don't discuss my hourly minimum method with the client. Everyone here has a different technique for determining how they calculate their prices. I don't know if this helps or not. I hope it does.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

putting it bluntly...

you need a business plan and within that business plan you should have a advertising/marketing plan. Start reading some books on this stuff and searching this site. It will help a lot, IMO.