1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble getting customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WEST1014, Jul 20, 2006.

1. WEST1014

WEST1014 LawnSite Member

When should I get discouraged? I posted several great, colorful flyers...offering free estimates, email contact, $5 off first job, etc..all over town in wal-marts and grocery stores (that allowed me). I've sent my advertisement letters direct mail to numerous homes in about 15 different communites, and to about 30 different churches. I've gotten no response. It's only been a week. Should I just keep mailing and posting?

I've got to bring some extra cash into this house before my wife goes nutts over the bills.
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Bad time of year to start off. Your competeing againts all the kids home from school looking for exta buck. I once saw a house for sale with tall grass and called the realestate company and found out the people moved but did not sell the house yet. I called and now i mow it every other week for $75. I realestate agent also help me with anoter one of her listing and that is 55 buck a week. Theres money out there. Try advertising bush trimming. good money there. If your just starting off you can get atlest 40 an hour. I'm sure there is a local free paper you can put the add in. It works for handy men
  3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

also too, don't give up.......i have gotten calls on flyers or ads long after, people hang on to them sometimes, and alot of college kids have to go back to school in a few weeks......so you never know......
  4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i put out 700 flyers this spring and got 12 signed up. so flyers don't work that well. you need a catchie name that people will reminder. and a logo and put some color on your truck i put two fiberglass cows on top of my truck decorated up like clowns i see people pointing at the cows and when they past by they look at the sign on the door not at me driving. you've got to get there attention then watch your business grow :clapping:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't give up so long it's not a financial burden, but like someone else said, it's a bad time of year to do this (low response). At the same rate, with the temps being what they are, you should be getting something...

You might try a different method, maybe an ad in the newspaper? Don't make it a classified, something different...
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

People who hired the cheap fly by night lawn people will be calling because there other guy dosn't show up in the heat. I have posted fliers many times and when it was into the season, sometimes it would take a while before the calls came in.

Hang in there!
  7. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How do you appoach the real state company?
  8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a 1.72% response rate which isn't bad for such a cheap way to advertise. i average 1-2% with mine and have found that people (especially old or fat ones)will hold on to them and start calling when it gets too hot for them to do it. over the summer, they see what a good job is being done for a reasonable price and usually retain my services for the next year also. they get spoiled and lazy.

keep your chin up and KEEP TRYING!!!!!!!:weightlifter:
  9. Hartnett Lawn Care

Hartnett Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I post ads in a local community paper. It costs me $80.00 a month. I tend to get at least one customer a month...the last one was a $200 biweekly cut...so it pays for the add. Also the spinoff is the cleanups and mulch and other work you get.

I am like you and would like more clients. Right now I have 9 accounts ($30; $30; $30 (all within two blocks..same client); $35; $200; $110; $100; $35; $45 (last two adjacent lots.

I started last Summer with three lawns and then got two more. I got about 12 Fall Clean ups.

I would like to get more but I think you have to keep putting your name out there and people will know you are there and they will come. Kind of like "Field of Dreams"...if you build it they will come.

Good luck.
  10. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

It may or may not be legal where you are at, but a referral discount to existing customers who put you onto new work. I only give the discount if I get the job. This will stop cheapskates from trying to get over on your generosity. My best advertisement is far and away an old guy I cut for. He always ask me for extra cards and flyers. Last 2 people he put me onto have worked out well. He saves $10 per person(one time discount) and I get new work.