Having trouble keeping the battery charged on mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dunn's, May 5, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We are having trouble keeping the battery charged on the 52" walk behind that we swapped out engines on. It was a pull start before. It is now electric start and it only holds a charge for about a week. We have a battery charge that we hook up to it on a regular bassis to keep it charged. Problems is sometimes it dies in between properties when this mower is being used.

Any Ideas on why it won't hold a charge. Do we need a smaller battery or a larger one. Maybe a thicker power wire or maybe even a thinner one.

All ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Dunn,

Sounds like you may have a problem with the engine charging system, If you post ALL the model numbers off the engine and mower then we may be able to identify the problem......

3. Dunn's

Thanks Rob I was hoping you where out there. It is an Kawasaki FC420V -ES10

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My sources are showing me this engine came off or was built for Deere therefore I have no way to look up your exact charging system. So, I need to ask some questions;

How many wires are coming off the charging system stator ?

Do you have a voltage regulator hooked up to the stator wires on this engine ?

If not, Do you have any wires hooked up to the stator at all ?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Cya

5. Dunn's

Thanks rob I will check and see what I have.

6. atrak99

atrak99 LawnSite Member

Hey Dunn and Restro,
    Your thread may help me quite a bit. I was wondering what's involved in putting a stator ring/charging system on my FB460V-KS01 motor. We bought the motor, but need juice to power the clutch on my 52' hydro walk behind, and was wondering what's involved or if it can be done. What do you think, Restro? Thanks, Dunn.