Havnt started out yet

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnguy72404, Jun 19, 2006.

1. lawnguy72404

lawnguy72404 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about starting my own part time lawn care business. I'm just going to do it one to two days a week on my off days from my other job. I was just wondering how much equipment I really need in order to get started being that I'm starting out part time.
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

You probably won't need anything bigger than a 21" mower. If you want to get the work done faster you can move up and get bigger equipment. I have a 48" jd stand on and a 36" exmark tthp. I am also part time with 2 lawns every other week. I recently dropped one because she nit-picked everything.

The only reason I have 2 mowers is because I purchased them for my own home. I got the stand on first and it really didn't work for my new house so I now have the 36" walk behind. I plan on getting a 52" walk behind when I get more houses and sell my stand on next year.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You will need a good trimmer and blower for one thing. Mower size and type will be dictated by what size properties you are targeting and how many of them you are targeting. It may be a good idea to just start off with a USED 36" mower. That way, if you drop everything or just handle a few lawns or smaller lawns., you will be better off!

Good Luck! Welcome to LS!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What are you cutting ---Buy what you need to cut the properties that you need to cut, nothing else. Start small and build by what your business makes
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats great advice....I pushed 21's for a couple years, saved and purchased bigger stuff. Only buy what you absolutely need...and if you do good work...no one cares if its a 400 dollar echo trimmer or a 100 dollar home cheapo....21" or 48" it doesnt matter.... Just do good honest work.
  6. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

I'm also a part timer with a real job. Just keep in mind that it's not as simple as working on your off days when you get to adding a lot of lawns. That's obvious, but it gets compounded when you get a lot rain and your schedule gets messed up. I'm having some slight problems because I'm on second shift and if it rains in the morning but gets dry after noon, I've got people calling like where are you? It's at times like that when some bigger equipment might come in handy. I usually do 2-3 before work, but I have went hard and completed 5 before shutting down to go to work.
  7. K&ALandscaping

K&ALandscaping LawnSite Member

I would atleast recommend a self-propelled walk behind with mulching and bagging options. The mower i started with wasn't and it took a month to realize that was a mistake. I saved myself 1/3 of the time with a self-propelled.