Hayes trailer brake controller

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrsops, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone ever came across the letters OC flashing on there brake controller when steping on the brakes with the trailer connected?? I used my new towmaster trailer the other day and the controller says p when im driving then when i apply brakes it works just fine...

My interstate trailer is flashing OC when my trailer is connected. So i know it cant be the truck thats the problem, What the hell is going on??

2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

OC means open connection so it could be anything from the brakes need replaced on the trailer to a broken wire somewhere. The P just means you have Power to the controller
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mrsops

It has to be a wire because this trailer is only a year old!! I looked all over and didnt see anything broke maybe i missed something
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bobcatoh

bobcatoh LawnSite Member

If the magnets have enough wear on them, the internal coil shorts out to the brake drum. It will give the oc message.

I always change them when new pads are installed.

In fact I just install the whole backing plate assembly.

The best thing to do is switch them out to electric over hydraulic disc breaks.

That's what I have done on my trailers.

5. mrsops

I can't see the magnets being worn out I don't use this trailer much maybe once a week if that..

6. mrsops

Very strange the trailer is being used today and the oc hasnt come up
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure that the plug is seated solidly in the receptical. Sometimes I get the same thing if its not seated fully.

8. mrsops

Im thinking thats what it has to be
    Posted via Mobile Device