Hayter Harrier Mower Does Anyone have any experience with these mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This is a 45lb rotary mower that cuts 1/2" to 2-1/4" it looks like a regular rotary mower but it has rollers on the back. I hear it stripes very well too.

I have concerns about using it on hybrid Bermuda like 419. Many times when you cut too low with rotarys you get that swirl. There is no Bermuda growing now so I can't test it.

They only have a 5.5 Briggs engine and there is nothing mentioned about a special blade so I am wondering how this mower can produce as advertised.

I was referred to this mower by a lawnsite member who I fell knows his stuff. Its $ 1800 22" rotary mower that is on my side of the country so I f I buy one this week from the golf show in Anaheim I will save some money.

I am looking at these mowers to reduce the number of lawns I mow with the reel mowers and the costs associated with them.

2. Az Gardener

I copied and pasted the information. The specs. at the bottom got jumbled. it you want to see a picture or the specs. in an un-jumbled format you can visit the site at.

www.seagointernational.com Then just click on the Hayter Harrier Mowers link on the left side of the page.

The Harrier 56 is the largest rear roller rotary mower within the Harrier range. With a 56cm cutting width, it is a powerful self-propelled mower that makes easy work of extensive lawns.

The rear roller gives a beautiful striped finish and is able to cut over the lawn edge. With the cutterblade raised, slightly rougher areas can be cut with ease.

With the crankshaft support, this machine qualifies for the Lifetime Guarantee against engine crankshaft bending. The machine also carries a One Year Limited Warranty for commercial use.

* Split differential ribbed rear roller for superior traction, easy turning and a perfectly striped finish.
    * Tough ABS underdeck liner for enhanced cut and collect performance, easy cleaning and reduced noise
    * Cutting deck extends beyond wheelbase for border trimming
    * Aluminium deck gives corrosion resistance, high durability and long life
    * Variable ground speed to suit different conditions and operator preferences
    * Built with Briggs and Stratton engines for reliability, easy starting and low emissions
    * Ergonomic controls offering comfort and ease of use
    * Fail safe OPC (operator presence control) system
    * Folding handlebar for compact storage
    * Friction disc protects the engine crankshaft against accidental bending through blade impact damage
    * Lifetime guarantee against engine crankshaft bending
    * Full width large capacity fabric grassbag with hinged flap for easier emptying
    * Can be used without collection bag as a rear discharge mower
    * Smooth running long life ball bearings in front wheels
    * Fins at front of deck to give improved collection performance particularly at low cut heights
    * Counter balanced single lever height of cut to give light and easy selection of cutting height

Full width ribbed rear roller Single lever height of cut adjustment
    Price and Specification
    Lawn Size Stripes Fine Lawns Rough Lawns Cutting Width Cutting Height Grass Bag Capacity
    1½ tennis court+ Yes Yes No 22 inch (560mm) 0.5 - 2.3 inch (13-60mm) 18Gal
    (70ltr)

Engine Fuel Tank Capacity Height Width Length Weight Price
    B&S Intek Edge 55 OHV 0.3Gal (1.5ltr) 42.5 inch (1080mm) 23 inch (585mm) 59 inch (1510mm) 109 lb
    (49.5kg)

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't see it on that site, but it sounds almost like the 22" mower from National Mower. Check it out and let us know if that is similar.

4. dave k

Ok, I did see it on the site and than went to National Mowers site and lo and behold the mower I told you about is no longer on their site, maybe they got rid of it and sold it to this company? But it does look just about the same. If you want stripes on 419, go with a reel, either a tru cut, or my favorite the Locke, I own both. Trimmer brand is also good.

5. dave k

Well, I went back to the National Mower site and just watched the featured products, the 2nd mower they showed was the I Stripe 22, it said see product page for more info. I didn't see it on there so contact them and see if they can help you, I see that you use reels already, not sure what the maint. issue is, I backlap my own mowers and only takes 1/2 an hour or so, but for me the best cut that comes closest to a reel IMO is a Walker, even though it only cuts to 1 inch, the trick with bermuda lawns is to topdress them to smooth out, go to this site for more info. sandmantopdressing.com
    Dave

6. Az Gardener

Yes it did used to be distributed by National, the new company, Seago International, just picked up the distributorship. The same company that makes the hover mowers makes these now. It's a British company.

Reels have just been giving me grief. I was looking into buying a grinder and sharpening in house. It can take over a week to get a mower sharpened in the summer and nobody seem to do it correctly. $75 is the cost for the service and often my mowers are cutting poorly within a week. I have Tru-Cuts and Pro Masters

I was talking to Tx grass guy and he asked my mow height. I told him 1/2"-5/8" he suggested I look at the Harrier. He said he used to use these mowers to mow tee-boxs because the tees left in the ground would screw up the reel so badly. He also said they would cut 1/2' fine and striped beautifully and picked up all the broken tees.

Sounds like a great replacement for a large % of my reel mowing accounts.

7. ancillottirob

ancillottirob LawnSite Member

The harrier has a lot of grunt for a low horse power mower. I run two walk behind hayters and find them excelent. I also noticed my harrier does not run as fast rpm as my other hayter and is better on fuel than most in its catagory. It will pull first time ever time spot on mower. ( watch out for blade prices a bit expensive)

8. dave k

Never heard of Pro Masters reels, couldn't find them on the web, do you have a site for them?

9. Az Gardener

They have been out of production for years, sorry no mas.