HD canister filter or enginaire??? which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Jun 4, 2004.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im confused as to which filter upgrade im wanting to make for my 19 kaw. Anyone have any info that may sway me one way or another? It appears as though the enginaire is about $100 whereas the kaw kit is approx $400. Anyone?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My new Ferris Z came standard with the Nelson HD canister filtration system. That was a selling feature. Sorry I didn't really help you any but I look foward to getting a lot of clean use from mine.
  3. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

My 19hp Kawasaki on my Tiger Cub also came with the canister system.

You might try buying the parts through a Scag dealer and see what they charge.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE have user enginaire for about 10 yrs. and have save allot of money, time and engines.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Say No to Enginaire...at least on the 15hp Kohlers....I had Serious Issues w/dirt bypassing the gasket and filter somehow & entering the throat....even got replacement gaskets...same problem....You'd see a Fine Layer of Dust in the throat after a Dusty Day....Tossed them in the Garbage!
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My biggest problem with the enginaire is the cost of the replacement fliters. $30 a pop. and not being able to get them local. Anybody know of a cheap source of the filters? Maybe an interchange number of a different brand that will fit?
  7. the enginaire does about 80% of what the canister does ..at a lot less then 400 bucks....the 19 horses has to have a complete carb relacement instead of just the jets replaced ..thats why the 400 buck price tag.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jack, i found out that my engine code only calls for the jets to be replaced, making it a $160 kit. My dealer is hunting for info from his distributor on this kit since all he knows is that spreadsheet from Dave (captdevo). Hopefully ill get this canister kit ordered sometime tomorrow. :)
  9. HEY JASON ..now that changes the picture so to speak lol ...yes my man go with the canister ..great that you had a bid of luck and dont need the whole carb....my 19 has to have the whole carb so i went with the enginaire precleaner ...it does a great job to .
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Just be Very Careful w/Enginaire....I don't know how the 19hp unit works but w/my Enginaire's the filters were allways spotless & I was Very Happy until I noticed that Fine Dust was Bypassing the Filter & entering the Engine....