HD45 (14hp Kawi) Blew w/305 hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 29, 2005.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

The engine on my Deere HD45 seized up solid instantly the other day with just over 300 hours on the meter. Lots of fresh oil in it and absolutly no warning. The dealer said the crank snapped right in half and that it must have been a defect in the cast, anyone else with this problem? Thank goodness for warranty. Its had a Proslide on it since new, not sure it that would put too much stress on it or not (???)

2. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

I don't know whether 14HP is enogh to drag a proslide day in and day out. I suppose a lot depends on the weight of the operator and the terrain. Anybody know of a weight-to-hp guideline for proslides or velke/sulkes?

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The 15hp v-twin I have on my stander had a valve stick 560 hours the other day poping it off leaving me with one running cylinder. Other then some new gas I think she will live. I have read some bad stories on the site concerning the twin's. I am going Kohlor from now on. This is not my only Kaw problem.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen people post here on Lawnsite that the Kawasaki 12.5 on a 36" walk was sufficient, so I doubt that using a Proslide would have that kind of catastrophic effect on a crankshaft.

The extra stress might burn hydros out a bit faster and might wear an engine down a bit faster, but a busted crankshaft? Naaaaah.

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

my very well taken care of 20 hp kohler engine had a camshaft failure with 640 hrs on it. so one never knows what lies around the next corner. i like both kawasaki and kohler but i am not so sure things are built to last anymore. time will tell.. good luck

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I recall a thread posted early this year or late last year about some Kawasaki engines that had an oil seal that leaked onto cooling fins. Dirt accumulated and the engines blew up from overheating. Not sure how widespread the problem was, though.

Know what you mean about built to last, but it seems as though most of the Kohler and Kawasaki engine components wear quite well. The problems I've heard about seem to arise when the manufacturer gets a new supplier or uses a different (and relatively untested) part. Sometimes a new supplier's stuff is lousy or the new part just wasn't up to the task at hand.