he mows at one inch + dry soil + grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 28, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm still treating 5 to 10 lawns a day for annual white grubworms. This is one I treated late today in Carlisle, Iowa. The whole front yard plus half of the backyard was full of grubworms. TG treated two lawns across the street today as well. I haven't seen a grubworm outbreak like this year for a very long time.

His lawn was nice & green this spring, and I asked him why he was mowing it so short. He said he was mowing at 3 inches:laugh: so I used a ruler and showed him.......3/4 inch! He told me he would raise it an inch???? I was surprised that his lawn had no weeds in it - just patches of bare dirt now.:laugh: Of course he never waters, and we're in a mini drought now.

Anybody else have customers who don't listen or seem not to care?:waving:

p.s. Sod webworms & cutworms are also causing damage here.

low mow + grubs 002.jpg

low mow + grubs 003.jpg

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

i was gonna say.. that doesn't look like grub damage.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

It is (even though it first appears as low mowing & drought damage). He noticed when he mowed yesterday with his rider -- when he made his turns, the turf came up. Today I pulled up large patches of this lawn all over the place about 4:00 this afternoon. Many good-sized grubs each place I checked. Seems his whole street has severe grubworm damage too.

He needs to water & quit mowing at 3/4 inch. It ain't bentgrass for sure. (it's Kentucky blue), but this guy is in his own world.:laugh:

4. mkroher

He needs to quit the trying to be a homeowner, and get a condo.

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

man that looks like shite!

a rider on that size lawn? looks heavily compacted also

6. mkroher

Yeah, and must be a huge dust storm whenever he mows it.

7. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "eating dirt". :laugh:

8. americanlawn

from midwest

I like the condo idea. LOL The guy must weigh 300 pounds, and he uses a Cub Cadet rider (homeowner version). He's a very nice guy, and he likes our service. He's single, and I figure his main priorities do not include having a thick/green lawn. Oh well --- to each his own. At least he always pays promptly.

His next door neighbor also had grubs working, so I let him know. He said he just took care of it......he used one of those tiny plastic handheld spreaders people use for ice melt on their front steps. Yep, we see it all! Always something new everyday.