He Said Im Nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by South Florida Lawns, Feb 14, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Gave a quote today for mulching and the guy got all bent outta shape because of my price.

I quoted $465 for killing weeds and putting down 2 pallets of mulch (100 bags).

Material cost was $280

Labor 3hrs, including windshield time $185.

I guess I'm just bummed because its been slow around here and I also wanted to put a load on my new trailer.

I don't think I was that overpriced, in fact thats about average around here.

2. WH Lawn Care

WH Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Wow, good thing I was not giving the quote. I was thinking closer to the 500.00 side, if not more.

Just hang in their I am sure some of the other prices he gets will bring on chest pains.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you useing bags?Why aren't you buying your mulch in bulk and having them load it right into your trailer that way?Try finding a supply yard in your area that sells mulch in bulk and both you and your client will save $$ that way.

4. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about 7 cubic yards. At about 25 bucks (I assume you use cypress), for example, you would be spending only 175 or so. I'd still charge what you did, or higher. Up here I put cypress down for 60 bucks a cubic yard without weed killing, and that is still pretty low. Hang in there, I am sure he'll call you back when the others don't discount it. Probably tries that trick on every landscaper to see who would be the first sucker. sporty

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

South Florida-

Just move on, even if he calls you back. You were probably the first bid he got and he had no idea what the job was gonna cost. He could have at least respected you for coming out to look at the job and provide a bid at no cost to him!

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

100 two cubic foot bags are 7.5 yards. I get $60 per yard, so 450 for the mulch and install. I charge at least $50 for round up. so. yeah you were right on or just a little low.

As far as bags vs bulk. bulk is a bit cheaper, but slower. bags save labor. in most cases and equal wash.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Sheshovel yeah I know, but bags just seem to work easier for me. I have used both methods for mulch.

To be quite honest everyone down here uses bags, even the big companies.

Mulch down in my area is junk quality (lots of crap mixed in). I only get the good stuff from North Carolina in bags.

Also I only have an enclosed trailer and a wheel loader cannot load one of those like a forklift can with a pallet.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

People think mulch is cheap. Which if you do mulching like a typical homeowner it is actually cheap since they only use a 1/3 of the mulch thats needed. Don't worry about that guy, you can't move too much when it comes to materials.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I can usually get 2cu' bags cypress or cedar for $2/bag. But, your pricing looks generous. I thought a pallet quantity was 80+ bags, but that might be supplier specific. Why do guys get so down on bags? 14 bags is a cubic yard and at 2 bucks a bag that is $28. I'm paying $25+ for bulk. With bags, handling, transportation, and cleanup are all so much easier. Bags save me money in the long run unless I am buying enough to get a major price break. If I am buying that much, sometimes I can get the same price break for bags. Home Cheapo sold cypress last year for $1.67/bag and Wal-Mart matched the price all summer long. That makes bags cheaper and easier to haul.

10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

This is true ; It is about the same price down here for bags as it is for bulk and you save alot more time putting down bags. I guess it depends on your location.