He shut the machine down to answer the phone!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Sep 3, 2011.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

So we're at a job yesterday working in the back. I'm out front doing something at the truck. It was decent temps yesterday so the client's windows on their house were open.

One of the guys was running a machine. As I'm out front along the street at the truck I hear this phone ring. And I think "wow, the client has their phone really loud I can hear it plain as day".

Well, next thing I know I hear the machine suddenly shut off. :cry: And I think to myself "oh no he didn't" :hammerhead:

At this point I'm furious. But when I'm really angry I keep away from the guys. So I stay out front and I find a way to walk towards the side so I can see for sure that my guy is really on the phone and that he didnt just coincidently stop his machine when a phone rang. Sure enough he was on the phone!

So I'm like "ok, don't get excited, keep cool, and put a smile on your face".

I wait about 5 minutes and I go back there. With a smile on my face I say "umm Abe YOU STOPPED THE MACHINE TO ANSWER THE PHONE???????"

He hesitates for a second and says "yes".

I repeat (with a smile on my face) "YOU STOPPED THE MACHINE TO ANSWER THE PHONE???????????"

He says "it was an emergency". Which I knew wasnt true and I could tell by the way that he said it that he knew I wasn't going to buy it. And without any delay I took a business card out of my wallet and I said "if your people EVER have an emergency you tell them to call the office number and I'll pass the message on to you". And I said it with a chipper smile and with a tone kinda like "ok, you're not weaseling out of this one and I'll have a response for everything you say".

He says "it was one time" and "you do it" :hammerhead:

I said "one time????" He said "yeah 1 phone call per day is not bad". And in which I can tolerate 1-2 quick calls per day. I replied "we're almost done and about ready to leave, you NEVER stop a machine to answer the phone, after you're done and we're on the road you can call and chat all you want".

And I said "my phone is a business phone, clients call it, supplier call it, MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS DO NOT CALL ME WHEN I'M WORKING". LOL I can not believe he said "you do it" :hammerhead: If my phone doesn't ring.....we don't work!

We're a very small operation.

I try to be easy going about their phones ringing and I do tell them that 1 or 2 quick calls per day are ok with me.

But for him to stop the machine.......whoo wee did that boil my blood!

Looks like Tuesday morning we're going to have to have a chat about phones. I'm sure after the 3 day weekend and with them being all groggy - it'll go REAL well.......

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a couple of neighborhood kids help me some in the summer weeding beds. Phone stays in the truck while we work
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, please tell us what machine he was running that is quiet enough that u can hear a cell phone ring over it.

4. DVS Hardscaper

Holy cow did u never have a cell phone?

I said phone. Not computer that you can talk on.

The old phones have volumes that you can hear from the other side of the earth. Perfect for noisy environments, you hear every call come no matter what.

Posted via Mobile Device

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Just had a conversation about this with an employee yesterday..... He was on his phone all day thursday and the foreman complained to me. I asked the employee what the problem was. He said "problems with his girl" so I told him well tell your girl that if she doesn't stop calling you at work you're going to get fired and then you'll both have a big problem. Then I offered to give him the name and number of the last guy I fired for talking on his personal cell phone all day so he could call him and find out how serious I was about the situation. I think he got the point. I can't stand that $hit. Talk on your break or own time. Not mine!!

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he was lining up some side work:laugh:

7. DVS Hardscaper

Different subject, but yes, I do not have a problem with my guys doing side jobs. And if I did have a problem with that, there's nothing I can do about it anyway!

8. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate those respones from employees tring to justify it. Whats wrong with a sorry boss, wont happen again. Then get back to work. Its the lack of respect that pisses me off when things like that happen to me. Not long ago we were working on a r.o.w project in front of some fast food places. Me and one guy are cleaning up, tarping the truck and closing up for the day. When I look around and notice the other guy is gone. I ask where he is and no one knows. A little bit later he comes out with a large drink saying he was thirsty. So i sent him home.

9. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha, I use to have a Nextel that could be heard over a bulldozer.

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

No.... it's a respect thing. When they are on the clock and on my time I expect them to perform. Not stand around and talk on the phone. I have 30 employees.... If every one of them spent even 10 minutes a day talking on the phone that's thousands of dollars a year in lost productivity. Personal phone calls are to be taken care of at break, lunch break or after hours. It's clearly stated in our employee manual.