1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

He trimmers keep cutting off =(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

my green machine hedge trimmers are having problems, and i haven't figured out what is wrong, here is what it does...trimming along and it sounds like i hit the on off switch while its at full throtle, a fairly immideate cut off, and then i can crank it back up as soon as it dies, i've rebuilt the carb earlier this season so its proabably not that, i checked it today to make sure i had it all put together correctly and tightly, i cleaned the fuel filter and made sure there weren't any holes in the fuel line, and i can't figure out why they keep cutting off, it doesn't seem as though it does it more inverted that normal but it is possible, i just haven't figured out when it does it and why for that matter...ANY help would be nice i have a job i'm trying to finish tommorow!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it possible you have a short somewhere along the line? Maybe in your switch or something? Also, if you plug wire perhaps has a splice somewhere, (it can even be below the cover where you can't see it) This could do it.
  3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Have you checked to see if the gas cap is venting properly?
    Run it without the cap for a while and see if that solves anything.
  4. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Did you replace the spark plug? They can heat up and break down like that.
  5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Maybe its the magnito. It probably heats up the point where it won't give out a spark.
  6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Won't running it without the cap splash gas all over the place?

You may have a stuck float valve.
  7. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

most 2stroke engines don't have float valves normally a diaphram carb