1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

he wants me to justify my request for pre payment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 3, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

all our fert programs are pre pay. this guy is very interested, i quote him $300 for the program. he says how much is that per application? i say it's not "per application", it's the fee for the program. i hand him a bill for the whole program, due now, he wants me to "justify", or explain why i want to be paid for the program now, when the applications will go down over the course of the season. what would you say?
  2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Tell him you buy your Fert in bulk.
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

tell him...this is the way we do business...if this is not satisfactory, I suggest you get in contact with another contractor. Or say there is a discount for pre pays 5% or sumptin! Hey its your biz....run as you wish:D
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, this is the reason for pre pay: we have come to the conclusion, we cannot make money on "aplications". we need to sell programs, with the only optional item being the grub treatment, and any upsells u want to add(fungicide, surface insect treatment, etc) but we need to sell a standard program. we don't price "per app", we price per program. potential problems are: they don't water, they are unhappy with the appearence of the lawn, they don't want to pay the bill. we have a drought, they tell you to skip the next aplication. they have a couple dandelions, pour roundup on them, kill half the lawn, it's your fault, and the list goes on and on. with the cost, risk, and effort it takes to run a fertilizing business, i need to know that the client bought, and is paying for the entire program. how do i know this will happen? pre payment is the only way. i certainly don't want to go thru all this with the client. i just rather say it's our policy, period.
  5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Why do you ask that fert customers prepay?
    I do not personally.
    I do offer a prepay discount in spring.

The only other customers I ask to prepay are those that I'm tired of chasing money from.
    I explain that their lawn has not been treated properly, treatments are late sometimes or maybe even missed all together because of slow payment.
    I then also explain that I do not enjoy chasing money from them year after year and if they would like to continue, I'd need them to prepay for the season.
    I do also mention the discount for prepays.

Usually they cancel. Which is what I wanted anyway.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him you don't make your other customers pay in advance but he looks a little "shady" to you. Then tell him you won't take checks.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him you have had probelms with "you people" in this meighborhood not paying. Its a funny reaction you get when you say that, but you wont get the customer.
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what you tell him. You have very good reasons. Why surgar coat it? Tell it like it is. (your good at that ) If you want to, you can let him know htat it's nothing personal just how your programs are sold.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

some people get really edgy about paying up front...usually people who are cheap. tell him thats how you do it, no exceptions.
  10. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Tell him this is the way you can offer him a better price on the applications if he wishes not to do so then it will cost extra per application if that works for u if not u dont need him sometimes if its a good costumer I will bend the rules but it will cost.