Head donuts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, May 31, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

utterly pointless

3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

LOL, WB, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel!!

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of turf again for your site? I think I remember fescue, and if that is the case, I agree w/ wetboots. The TX crew will tell you that guys have been installing concrete ones down there longer than Texas has been it's own country. If your sprinklers are in extremly invasive turf and your in a climate where you can periodically not water........they are a labor saving tool. St.Augustine, Berumuda (esp. the newer hybrids but common is bad enough), and Zoysia are aggresive enough to cover a sprinkler head tight enough that it will not pop up anymore. In the day of 2" sprays, it was much worse. Plastic would be cheaper than concrete :)
    On another thread, I mentioned the old Buckner 1360's. They are primarily a golf head. We used to fabricate a special weed eater head to fit over top of the 1360 to trim them in fairways and tees. Used to walk the entire course twice a season doing this. So.... in the right situation, a great idea. For normal cool season grasses, a true waste of resources.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Hot, southern Alabama climate, with Bermuda & Centipede. I know all about Bermuda getting into cracks & crevices. I stood still for a while last year, watering my yard, and had to cut three strands that had covered my toes.

I don't keep mine cut to green lengths, but rarely does it get over 1.5-2" in height.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Forgot about Centipede, guess I've been North too long. Kind of like fire ants, I don't miss them. We do still see a fair amount of common berumda and zoysia here, but it just isn't as healthy with the shorter growing season and sometimes bitter winters.