Head for 20'

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

MP2000, but only if you can get ~50-60 PSI at the base of the body using an 1800-SAM-P45. This will give you a correctly regulated nozzle pressure (more or less) and you should be able to hit 20 feet reliably at that nozzle pressure assuming you are not irrigating in windy conditions. Place your sprinklers 8-10" in from the edges, which you should do anyway when using any type of rotating sprinkler/nozzle. If it is always windy when irrigating, proceed carefully.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Just wondering why few seem to use the "small rotors" Hunter PGJ or RB3500? I myself never use them but really can't give a good reason.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

High failure rate, crappy spray pattern in my opinion, cost more than their counterparts - the PGP or the 5004.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A PGJ also has a really high precipitation rate. Poor spray pattern that does not land where it is supposed to. Impossible to get matched precipitation rates without zoning 90s, 180s, and 360s on separate zones. Have yet to see an install where that was done. The local installers put PGJs everywhere and whether it is in a corner, edge, or middle, a 3.0 nozzle is in the head. If an area is too small for a PGP or 5004 not screwed down, I will yank and replace with MP Rotators on PRS40 bodies.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Only as a direct replacement would I ever carry any of the mini-rotors. Never for an install of my own. There is nothing worth having from the mini-rotors that is equal to the worth of a 3/4-inch marlex ell under a rotor head.

6. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Thought I would resurrect a older thread instead of starting a new one.

Would rain bird 5500 with the short throw nozzles work?? Does anyone have any experience with the 5500 heads??

I have a big project I am helping with and there is a lot of 22'x 200' areas. Person designing it plans for those areas to be all sprays. I was hoping for rotors.

7. Wet_Boots

What prevents anyone from using an ordinary 5000 rotor with the low-angle nozzles in this application?

8. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

extraordinary*

9. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Discussed that the person doing the planning. He doesn't like to turn down heads. So was looking at other options.

10. Wet_Boots

Frankly, someone fearing to turn down heads is a weenie and should stick to installing nothing but popup sprays.