Head for 20'

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Apr 3, 2014.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him to go with the new k rain To cut distance one cuts flow.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

The 5500 would be a better choice IMO than say taking a head that cover 30' and choking the chicken to 20'. King of hackish to me. I see #9 pgp's choked down to 10', I just shake my head.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Another obscure sprinkler that would absolutely positively give you a specific 22-foot radius, is the Toro Stream Rotor head with the special adjustable radius nozzle, which is the 03 nozzle equipped with an internal flow control.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I tried those years ago: crummy pattern. :hammerhead: My choice is still 5000/5500 or even the 3500, which I've had good luck with.

5. Wet_Boots

I never used them because I liked the constancy of the original nozzles. Put one on a high-pop 300, in place of an 02, and got a decent pattern from it when dialed back to 20-22 feet, so maybe the extra height helps the coverage.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im assuming ( I know , I shouldn't) that the gentleman mentioned who dosnt like to dial down is a landscaper who does mostly new construction and see's lot of washout when first installed.

7. Wet_Boots

I don't think many of the new nozzles would please bare-seed landscapers. That downward spray from a modern nozzle is just what they wouldn't want. Toro wrote an explanation in response to complaints about close-in coverage on their S700 nozzles, stating that the close-in water was directed upwards instead of downwards, with the intent of minimizing washouts.