head gasket on 18 kohler leaking.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TClawn, Apr 8, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

this engine is new, and has been run less than 8 hours. the leak is coming from an area 3/4" wide, right behind the oil filter. is there a possibility that the screws that keeps the cylinders and crankcase together have been over torqued, deforming the gasket? another possibility is under torqued, but I don't think that is the case. it worked like a charm for the first 8 hours and all of the sudden just started spraying oil. it's not the hydro system. I am sure it is comming from the engine.

is there anyway to stop the leak besides putting in a new gasket?

the thing that I can't figure out, is why it didn't do this right when I started up, if the gasket was faulty, it should have broken within the first hour. it should have less likely to leak after 8 hours. besides that, the engine was pretty warm at the time, and that should have made a better seal. sigh, time to go around in circles with kohler again.

2. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

No the gasket has to be replaced, from what I have seen is the head can be warped and the weak spot blow out. Over torque on the head bolts can cause this or just a bad mold. Not tight enough can cause that also but probably what have happed less than 8 hrs. If this is a command series (CH18) the older versions had alot of valve train problems. If this is a older model that sat on the floor it could have had some warranty work done to bring it up to date. And that could be where the problem started (not torqued to specs.) Kolher will send out the updated parts and the shop installs them and claims it as warranty work.

3. TClawn

it's a kohler command cv18s. I baught this from a person on the mainland, and I think it has been sitting for a while. how do I find out if I have any warranty left?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It does not matter how long it was on the store shelf the warranty starts the minute you leave the store with it. Did you fill out the wattanty card? If so Kohler can tell you, email them and ask them about it. If you did not fill out the warrany card then you may have some problems finding out anything

5. TClawn

the problem is I don't know if the warrranty card was filled out. I baught this new, but from someone else on the mainland. he says he doesn't have the warranty papers on it.

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Kohler doesn't use a warranty card. All you need is the proof of purchase, sales receipt, anything like that.