Head Instrall Per Hour??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aquamtic, May 10, 2006.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what some expectations are from other contractors on head per hours installed per crew member

Share based on established lawn and loom only.

Also how have you found it to be more productive?

Open all holes first? Each man opens , installs and backfills at once?

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I like to have my guys doing only one thing at a time...

when we get to a job while I'm pulling the pipe with another guy I usually have the 3-4 other guys start digging. As soon as the diggers are far enough ahead where the guy putting in won't catch them that guy will start putting in. If there are four other guys then he can usually start immediately. I have him put all the funny pipe fittings in the heads ahead of time and put them by all the flags since he can't carry them all in his kit and i dont want him walking back and forth from the truck.

I usually only have one guy putting in but two if it's a bigger job. Once enough heads are in one or two of the diggers will start burying. It should end up that everyone is burying together with the guy putting in only burying a couple.

as far as pace... last week my brother bet one of my other guys that he couldn't install the front yard in 20 minutes. It was four zones (14 pgps, two tees, a couple couplers). He took about thirty seconds too long. That's obviously not normal pace as he was running between holes.... he also laid down when he was down and talked about how fast he was for ten minutes after that.

the good part is that my guys are pretty competitive and often try to prove to each other that they are the fastest burryer, digger, or whatever.

i'll watch the guys next time and let you know what their normal pace is for all that stuff

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

about 4 per hour

4. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

12 zones a day, soup to nuts, 4 workers and 1 foreman.

5. Rainmaker

Rainmaker LawnSite Member

4 guys 50 to 60 sprays and 20 rotors in 6 to 7 hours
    its amazing how much faster they install when you give them a installation time bonus

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We average about 20-30 heads per day. Mind you this PVC without using saddles.

7. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

No one is mentioning what amount per hour do they expect one man to do.
    6? 10? 12?

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

One person did, the others work as a team. Everyone on my crew has a different roll. Just like BSME said I only have one to two people that actually cut heads in.

9. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys....not a puller, but a trencher here. How about some pics on what you guys are talking about and how poly is done. Predominately pvc here in okla. cut and glue, cut and glue, cut and...

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I can't seem to find time to keep up w/ my reading, but I've passed this thread twice before. I expect Me to punch in 10-12 rotors / hour after the laterals are pulled and excluding those sites that are 3 rocks to one dirt or such. I expect help to accomplish half of that. Connections, i.e. tees and to the valves are extra. I normally expect a system to go in w/ less than 10 man hours per zone.