Head Protection (helmet)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, May 14, 2008.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

You ride on guys, do you ever consider wearing head protection when working new properties with low tree limbs, guide wires, etc?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always wear a helmet, as I don't have a real good sense of balance. It goes back to my school days when they always made me wear my red helmet. I don't know,...they always told me it was because "I was special",....whatever THAT means.... They even gave me the one with the face mask on it. I overheard one of the ladies one day...she said it stopped me from licking the windows on the bus.;) I always got to ride a special bus, too. I didn't ride with the rest of the kids...there was only 3 of us. It was shorter, but it was ok.:dancing:

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hogjaw

I sold my Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were passed. I bought a Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were lifted. Why would I wear a helmet riding a 5 MPH machine when I don't wear one on a 150 MPH machine???

4. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't even take this post seriously...

5. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Lets not give OSHA any ideas. Sometimes a good knock in the head will bring you back to reality anyway. What's next a roll cage and air bags? The only thing that you need to protect you........ is you.

6. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would probably consider a helmet on the magical mystery machine because it will probably spread fert at 150 mph. The trees would probably come at ya pretty quick, but then again is a helmet going to help at that speed?

Ric,
    gotta ask, how fast have you had it?

7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome. Well played.

8. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Some of the commercial accounts that we do require hard hats. They are mainly for our r.o.w. apps. in the oil field. We do work around pumping units, pipelines, compressors, and tank farms. You definetly want to wear one in those type of applications.

As far as on our lawn apps, sometimes I wish I was wearing something, especially when your are riding at 8-10mph. I have smacked my head several times on low limbs. It sure wakes you up!!

If you have a magical mystery machine you probably need a huge helmet to protect the big head that comes with the machine. Then again you might not need a helmet if it is magical, it probably runs by itself.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

OMG!!!! You're killing me man:laugh::cry::laugh::cry::laugh:

10. Whats wrong with licking windows ?