Head replacement

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Five Star Lawn Care LLC, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I am bidding on yearly contract at an apartment complex and they are say they have approx 90 heads break per year.....what im probably going to do is give them a price to replace misters and another price to replace rotors. probablly further detail it by giving a 1-3 head price and a 3+ head price. obviously all the heads will not break at the same time.....any thoughts on pricing this out?
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill a service call to get to the site then it doesn't make any difference how many heads you replace. No matter whether you do 3 heads or 7 heads the time per head will be the same for each all installation and repair factors being equal.
  3. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

The price per head in this part of the country is $8.25(spray or mister) and $25(rotor). These prices are what the customer pays you for them(list). I never give multiple prices for a head replacement. It is what it is. Oh...you of course are charging them hourly for all the work. Time and materials....Time and Materials!!!!!!
    Happy Billing!!!
    ps.. prices above are for homes and apartment sized systems, not golf course systems.
  4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the hourly rate. If you are in the service biz always go with time & material.
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

time and materials. that is what i charge hoa's. you can give them a discount if you ACTUALLY replace 90 heads. will you? your guess is as good as mine.

let me tell you this: if they are having 90 heads replaced every season, that is not a good irrigation system. try to sell them on installing swing joints.

just my .o2

6. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

well heres the catch as to why there replacing so many heads mind this is a 20 acre site with approx 12 acres of turf and the irrigation system is getting its water from a retention pond that is approx 250,000 gallons and each cycle is draining about 33,000 gallons and when they are watering once daily it doesnt take long durring droughts for the pump to start sucking dirt. they dont have a secondary water supply which im trying to get the managment to look into right now. The system is a big mess, i have no idea how this turf is doing as good as it is doing. the company that was doing the maintenance last year had to reseed approx 55% of the turf area and the did it the first week in november so the seed has yet to germinate and the contractor garrenteed it would germinate before winter. So everyone is blaming everyone for everything. Its going to be quite an undertaking but nothing that cant be handled with a little thinking.
  7. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like to me they need to invest in a good filter, it cuts down on psi but certainly there is a trade off to 90 heads a year.
  8. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

If you are haveing to replace 90 heads a year that is $2250 just in heads alone.(if they are all rotors). That doesn't even begin to figure in labor.
    They should really just install a new system made for the conditions. If you can sell it you will come out the backside of the deal with one happy happy customer.
  9. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would add a Wet well next to the pond and suck from there, that will cut down on the amount of debris getting into the system, That's what just about every golf course uses.
    Also, does the pond have an aerator? It probably should to prevent Alge from getting into the system.
    Are you running each ZONE every day? If so, it's probably way too much. Can you increase the watering interval?

What about putting a well in that feeds the pond?
  10. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

if you use a pond or lake as a water source, you will save money in water, but the trade off is a reduced shelf life of the rotor head.

i have installed systems run out of streams, ponds, and lakes. we even installed a system at a nursery that dug a man-made lake until they hit water!!!

every system that is operated like this always gets dirt, silt, sand or some particles in the lines that get valves stuck open or closed, break tiny gears in rotors, foul up screens...

the winner is the irrigation contractor. but for longevity (sp), you need a clean water source.

'nuff said.