head scratcher

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jul 9, 2010.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Yesterday I got a call at 5:30 that there was a leak on the main of one of the estates I take care of. normally I would have told them it would have to wait until the next day but its a nice place that pays fast and I like the caretaker so I told him I would stop by that night.

I get there and there is water bubbling out of a buried valve box near the caretakers cottage that I never knew was there. It was buried by about 6" of dirt and mulch. So I shut off the RPZ in the basement of the main house and go out to pump out the water and what do I find another 2" RPZ with a cracked male adapter.

I cant figure out why this was there. The system was gone under several rebuilds over the past 30 years and several owners.

IMG00006-20100708-0932.jpg

IMG00009-20100708-1132.jpg

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The system was gone under several rebuilds over the past 30 years and several owners.

you answered your own question, i see this type of situation often :)

3. Don't ever let that little knowledge escape your memory. It may come back to solve a mystery and make you look like a genius.

4. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I wonder where the caretakers house feeds from?

If some hack buried an Rp, there is no telling why it was there.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Cant say that ive ever seen a buried RP

First time for everything.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Several owners usualy means several contractors. One never knew it was there and assumed the system had no protection. So is the system running better with the extra 10 psi?

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I expected it to have better pressure but pressure is down in the whole area so it is hard to tell right now. The place had great pressure anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device