Head Start Program - Project: Shamrock Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Team Gopher, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

[​IMG]

Head Start Program
    Project: Shamrock Lawn Care

Zacc, the owner / operator of Shamrock Lawn Care is just starting out his business. He is 19 years old and a freshman at metro state college in denver, colorado. We asked him to tell us a little about his company and he said "Shamrock Lawn Care is a brand new company, and I hope to expand fairly fast. By the end of this season I hope to have over twenty yearly contracts and hopefully double every year till I get about 100 contracts."

Thanks to the help of a few forum members he is getting started with a free logo design, website and marketing material design. As he moves forward with his company we will keep you posted on his updates.

We hope to help him learn about business and grow. Feel free to jump in and offer your wisdom or learn from his experiences.

You can see his logo and flyer design post here.

You can see his website development post here.

2. Zacc,

What is your emphsis of your business?
    mowing/
    fert? does your state require license?
    pest applications? once you have license
    landscaping, soft or hard?

3. LLCO

LLCO LawnSite Member

Has the owner started a business plan? If not, that is where I would start or at least with a market analysis to determine the feasibility.

4. Team Gopher

from -

So far it seems he is focusing on mowing. No fert.

Hi LLCO,

What would you suggest he do for his market analysis?

5. Team Gopher

from -

Here is the marketing plan thus far.

[​IMG]

6. Team Gopher

from -

Winter Flyer

A note to those reading this. You can make your own flyer just like this one by downloading the free flyer template here.

[​IMG]

Spring Flyer 1

[​IMG]

Spring Flyer 2

[​IMG]

Third followup flyer to make his routes tighter.

[​IMG]

7. LLCO

LLCO LawnSite Member

At a minimium, I would pull the demographics from the Census website to determine what the area looks like from a demographic standpoint (age, presence of children, home value, etc) as well as psycographics (buying preferences, etc.).

Most libraries carry reference materials from The New Strategist http://www.newstrategist.com/catpage.cfm?cat_selected=77. Most librabries also carry reference materials on demographics by zip code. From there you can identify which zip codes in the area that you service are more rip for the picking. This would help you spend your marketing dollars more effeciently when starting out. If you need any other help, send me a PM..

Good Luck.

8. ShamrockLawnCare

ShamrockLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I couldn't for some reason. Thanx a lot for your help llco, I will look into that, does it cost money to search on the census website? And thanx a lot steve, that is exaclty what I am doing with my marketing

9. Team Gopher

from -

For those following along, here is an image representing the equipment Shamrock Lawn Care is starting with.

[​IMG]

10. Team Gopher

from -

Hi LLCO,

What age, presence of children, home value, buying preferences, etc. would you suggest targeting in on?