Headaches in the heat?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Anybody else get bad headachs when ever it is hot out while your working? I get them all the time and it annoying.

2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

If you are getting headaches in the heat, I would say that is a sign of heat exhaustion, and or dehydration. I would drink more water and get a wide brimmed hat. If that doesnt help keep on drink fluids and put cool items in your armpits. They even make cooling vests now, I think you can get them at motorcycle shops, I'm not positive on this but I have heard that from some of my friends that ride.

I am a full time firefighter/paramedic so I am not talking out of my butt. Headaches with working in the sun and heat is simply your body telling you that your over doing it. Listen to your body.

Also I get headaches if I don't get a cup of coffee in the morning. That would happen toward evening however. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water. More water that gatarade type drinks. No pop, soda ect. The older you get the less stress you can put on your body before it starts to complain.

Hope this helps.:drinkup:

3. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I get them. Usually they start around 1 or 2 on the really hot days.

A

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My big problem is water gives me stomach aches. I drink alot of pepsi and do tend to drink it while working but for the most part I drink gatorade which I figure has got to better than soda. Maybe I should just try to force myself to drink water and get use to it.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Pretty much sums up life :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and dam the truth gives me a headache

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just puke a couple of times. ... you'll be alright! LOL

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Make absolutely sure your blood pressure is not elevated and water (I am talking about clean water) is what was meant to hydrate you body if not you would sweat Pepsi. I have tested county water and well water many times in my life and there is problems in most of it. I personally have a reverse osmosis filtering system in my house and it will remove everything from the water, it is the same type of system the pharmaceutical companies use to make their drugs. I have seen where Consumer Reports did extensive testing on the bottle waters you buy and they are not nearly as pure as they would lead you to believe. You also need to make sure you don't have a sugar problem, Diabetes can cause these same systems but more than likely you are not drinking enough good clean water.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might just be the heat on your head, you might try wearing a light-colored hat (like a straw hat) to shield your head from the sun, keeping in mind it needs to be a light color like white or tan, dark colors won't help because they absorb heat.

Also, pepsi is about the worst thing you can drink because the caffeine in soda dehydrates you. Now if water gives you a stomach ache, maybe try some of those Sobe drinks, surely the cost is roughly the same as the pepsi, and some of those Sobe drinks really are uhmmmm good. On that note, you need to drink at least 20 ounces / hour on a hot day, 32 ounces wouldn't hurt, let me put it this way: If you don't have to pee, you're not drinking enough.

Don't work outside on HOT days from 11a - 2p, that is the worst heat of the day, I'm 40 and I don't take those chances even if that is the reason I gross 30k instead of everyone's 60k, I don't care because they can drop dead long before me, man it just ain't worth it is what I'm saying.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Your body is almost 80% water. You need water when its hot and when you are thirsty, it is getting too late. I am training for a marathon and know a little about proper hydration and I too am a full time ff/paramedic and know what dehydration can do.
    If you read the ingredients on your Pepsi can you will find that the #1 ingredient is water, if your home tap has a bad taste then its time to join the bottled water crowd. Pepsi is ok in moderation but the sugar in pepsi is a bad thing when taken in big doses. Imagine eating about 15 sugar packets. Thats what you will be doing after 3 or 4 cans. Alll that sugar has a negative effect on the way you feel also.
    Check the Mayo clinic link;
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561

Headaches are one typical sign of dehydration but I still would make an appointment with your doc just to be sure. A physical and some blood work may help you out, its the only definative way to see if your electrolytes are in balance as well as things like your blood sugar and a host of other little important things that keep you workin. Its sort of like a soil test before you fertilize:walking: Good Luck and get some Dasani before you go out next time.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PLM-1 your just a young pup that has not been off the tit long just wait a few more years and you will feel the difference and it want be near as long as you might think. I was 35 when you were born and at your age I was full of piss and vinegar and did not think bull horns would hook but son take it from somebody that has been there your time will come faster than you can imagine enjoy it while you can.