Headge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,

I need to buy some hedge trimmers, I’m tired of doing it by hand. What do you think Echo, stil or?

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

theres a good many post on this subject, both units are well bulit , what is prodominate in your area?i use a sthil HS75L and a HS80 love them both and extended trimmer is a must real time saver.my hs80 is 5 years old and my hs75L is 3 years old and neither has given me any trouble at all

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Chuck, I bought a Husqvarna 225H60 24" double blade this spring and am very pleased with it. Has rotating handle and 25cc. engine, plenty of power. I paid $379.00+tax. I tried the homeowner model first year in business Weed-Eater brand and did not even make it past the first day without breaking down. So don't skimp on QUALITY get a good commercial brand right from the start. Remember if it's broke and in the shop you are not making any $$$$$$$$. Good Luck.
    Mowman

4. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Chuck, I've been looking furiously for the perfect hedge trimmers also. I've got a husqvarna unit now that is just worn out. Most people here will tell you Stihl is the way to go but they are heavy. I'll agree because I have Stihl and Echo equipment and for me, Stihl provides better service. Tanaka makes a very good light unit. Several people here have said the Echo 1500 has worked well for them. You can get these at Home Depot pretty cheap on the return rack. I have decided on a Stihl FS85 with a articulating head, 24" attachment.(FS85 is $299 and the attachment is $199). This gives you there workhorse line trimmer and an extended reach, articulating head hedge trimmer for $500. There standard long reach head trimmer is $529. Why buy this when you can get 2 tools for less money ? I think folks here will tell you that articulating and extended reach are a must but take some getting use to. Thanks.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Chuck: I've been using the Tanaka hedge trimmer for the past 5 years and think it is great. Nice cut, powerful and light.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with Scraper. I own a Stihl 18" double-blade that I've had for 2-3 years and I like it, but I've just started taking on bigger and taller shrubs. Climbing up and down the ladder for 3-4 hours is no big thrill so I've decided to invest in the FS85 attachment. I've already got the line trimmer, and it's a beaut, so the $200 attachment is a logical step. It'll save me time on the ladder jobs where I've already established a fee using the hand-trimmer, so it'll make me more $$$, too.

Go with it, you won't regret it...

-TGC

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have a stihl not sure on the model handle twists (fs80)
    it is a great tool but it is very heavy if i ever need to buy another one it will be much lighter even if i give up a little bit in horsepower

i am of the belief that you get as much hp in any tool you buy because you will probably need it but sometimes you can hold them for two or three hours at a time it gets old
    get a good workout anyway

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I would get the Stihl. I have Echo's and don't like them. The exhaust blows straight down, and when you hold them up, it goes in your face. When ever I come home from trimming with them my wife says I smell like exhaust.

9. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Ignore all the previous posts and buy RedMax!

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i do not do very many hedge jobs, and if youa re doing them by hand then i would have to guess that you do not either. i have a 50$ 22" electric hedge trimmer from the hardware store. It has lasted me through 15+ hedge jobs. The benefit that i see from using this, low expence and if i damamage the blade (fences, wires, etc.) i jsut through the entire thing away and buy new.

I would have to agree with all the other guys though if you are going to be doing more than a few jops a year BUY COMMERCIAL!