Headgear

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Aug 19, 2003.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you professionals use the protective helmet systems offered by Stihl/Echo etc. that are shown at the link below? I have used many types of safety glasses and it's so humid here that they fog up and tick me off. I also wear ear muffs and thought this would be a neat idea but I wanted some opinions of those who maybe have used these before I spend 45 on one. Thanks.

Stihl Helmet System

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Could not tolerate that hard hat at all, think it doubles as a cooker at lunch time if you're brain lasts that long.
    Can't go ear muffs either, I use plugs.
    Face shields are available without all the other.

3. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i completely agree w/ goat...i honestly cannot see how in the world anyone could stand to wear something like that...i mean, my god we are cutting grass for god's sake...not going into battle...get yourself a good pair of safety sunglasses, foam plugs and go to work...hey, more power to ya if you want to punish yourself like that ny wearing something like that...not me...

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I have that same kind of setup but the Husqvarna model. It all depends on what you want to use it for. I do a lot of tree work and need that setup to protect my head, hearing and eyes from the flying woodchips. As you know the mesh will never fog up but the “brain bucket” helmet will keep you a little warm. I will take safety over comfort any day. I only use this when using the chainsaw and not for when trimming grass. I hope this helps.

Gravely_Man

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, but they are hot. I only wear it on a couple of my commercial accounts when trimming, it gets very hot.

6. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

I have one and use it all the time when I cut wood and am going to start using it when string trimming. Safety glasses get covered in sweat and fog up too much. The hat is actually very comfortable and allows air to circulate over your head much better than a baseball cap. Plus it keeps my balled head from getting sun burned. ;)

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not buy the "brush shiled protector"? Looks to the same but without the helmet.

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The helmets are good for your ground workers when your climbing. Thats it! thats what there meant for.

9. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I wear one while cut firewood and clearing fence lines for local farmers. It's saved my eyes a couple times.I also would suggest protective chaps too anyone that cuts alot of wood.However I could never wear the helmet doing trimming because it is hot, only in the fall & winter while doing firewood.