Headlamps on my Lazer?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Esby33, May 20, 2002.

1. Esby33

Esby33 LawnSite Member

Exmark~
    I am considering mounting some halogen headlamps to my Lazer Z HP 23hp. I was just wondering if you reccomend this or discourage this? I would like to have them on for mowing 2 of my very large, wide open commercials, which would be nice to be able to do at night. Thanks for any advice/tips you may have to offer-Erik

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Erik,

The best advice I could give you is don't go too large on the lights and don't plan on cutting all night with them.

The charging system on the Lazer Z and Lazer HP is designed to run the hour meter and the electric clutch and not a whole lot more. You can get by with a lighting system for short periods of time, such as to finish up a job at dusk but I wouldn't plan on running the lights for very long because you'll begin draining the battery.

You really only have about 4 or 5 extra amps to play with and then you'll begin slowly draining the battery. The key is to get a light that doesn't draw a great amount of power.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How long would it take to drain the battery to a dangerous level on a 27HP 52" Lazer Z with 1 light total 6.6 AMPS

4. eXmark

Diesel Deere,

The charging system has about 4 amps to play around with. Anything greater than that will slowly draw the battery down. You should be good for several hours with out any problem. The only real issue is that the farther down to pull the battery and the charge it back up the harder it is on the battery.

Thanks

Terry

5. DieselDeere

from Midwest

How many is several hours? And what does hard on the battery mean?

6. eXmark

Diesel Deere,

Simply put it will shorten the life of the battery requiring you to replace it sooner.

I talked to engineering and if your batter is perfect, has a 100% charge and it's nice and warm out you should be able to run for around 5 hours before you begin to see the lights dim. If the temperature drops below 80 degrees it will take less time to drain the battery as well.

The lower you drain the battery and then re-charge it the more potential damage you may cause. The more often you drain it and re-charge it the more damage you may cause as well.

Worst case scenario you buy more replacement batteries than the guy down the street.

Thanks

Terry

7. DieselDeere

from Midwest

What if the temperature was 65 degrees out and the lights used 13.75 AMPS, how long could I run them before causing damage? Waht if I added a voltmeter on my Lazer, what would be a voltage leval that would be harmful?

8. DieselDeere

from Midwest

Has any one put lights on your Lazer, where did you put them?

9. eXmark

DieselDeere,

You must note that 13.75 amps are well past the available 4-5 amps that the charging unit has to spare with the blades running. So whether it is 40-120 degrees the battery will drain quickly.

You need to also realize that draining a battery that quickly and cutting grass may cause other damage. If you start robbing that much more amperage from the field coil on the clutch it will not have the holding power that the drive needs.

As far as voltage goes if your volts are dropping below 12 the battery is going to go dead.

If want any addition info please call me at 402-223-6270.

Thanks, Fred.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

get some white L.E.D. light and use them. they are expensive but 2 L.E.D.'s are as bright as 2 500w floodlights and only draw 1/2 amp each!