Headlights will not turn off ! Help !!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AboveTheCut, Jan 2, 2006.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

2000 Dodge 3500 Sport pickup. My headlights will not turn off. Fog lights and parking lights and high beams work like they should (on/off) but my headlights will not turn off. I removed the headlight switch from the dash and the lights are still on. finally had to disconnect both batteries. Is it a relay that I am missing? Thanks

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I think it is a relay. Does this truck have daytime running lights? If so the relay may be stuck. Even if it does not have daytime running lights it could still be a relay. They are using more and more relays in cars and trucks now days. Not sure why, it may be because the switches just can not handle the power. I say hook the battery back up and start unpluging every relay you can find until the lights go out. Only remove and replace one at a time so you do not get them mixed up.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a pasted response that I gave in trucks and trailers thread.
    you really only need 1 post, then give it some time.
    If what I posted don't work let me know, there is a number of possibilities.

sounds like a stuck relay or a bare wire between the switch and the relay,
    I'm not sure on dodge but I think the head light circuit is a switch to ground system, meaning that the switch completes the circuit by grounding the circuit, check for a wire that maybe rubbing a ground source.
    find your relay, remove it and use a meter set to amps connect between the terminals on the low load side of the relay, if it shows amps, you have a circuit completing between the relay connection and the switch connection.
    I do know that dodge has a lot of problems with the harnesses in the truck you have.
    good luck.

4. brunosplace

brunosplace LawnSite Member

I would look at the headlight relay, sound like it's contacts have welded themselves together.

5. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

it ended up being the light module for my plow lights (Meyer) between the factory lights and the plow lights. I got a pair of them for $135. i put both new ones in and saved the old, good one for a spare.