Heads at driveway-roadside corner

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jun 19, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone see heads along a driveway get squashed, especially when there is no block or curb to define the different height levels of grass and driveway.

Worse spot I see is the corner of the grass where the driveway meets the road. Often heads are squashed more than 4 inches below the sod surface, bad drivers anytime or during the winter months when snow/slush hides the edge and the ground is mushy. Or the threads on the bottom of the head are driven/snapped into the head body.

Around here many driveways have no block along the edge. And the area where the driveway meets the road, the entrance is not square. Often splayed wide the last 3 feet or so, a fake apron. Again, no curbs delineate the grass area from the road. Heads get run over often. Or the snowplows scrape the lawn edges, taking out some heads

Yeah, more service work for all.

But what if it is your own yard or someone wants you to specifically solve that problem. By not using curbs or blocks at the driveway edges.

Somewhere here recently someone mentioned putting 6" round heavy duty PVC pipe around the heads. Like a turret. Won't stop a snow plow. Someone else mentioned "throwing the water into the corner" from 2 angles.

So, what do you do for this?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In areas that this is prone to happen, I usually just use a half concrete block buried with the rotor positioned inside of it and sitting just lower than the top of the block. Once the grass fills in, it's not something that you would notice.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I am the "somewhere here recently someone". Our ABS sleeves work well,
    notched at the bottom for impact & pea gravel liner. Spot the sleeve & head
    a little lower than grade & use a 6" for turf & 12" hi-pop for plantings. Blasting into corners will be discussed at the annual forum meeting Wet
    Boots sponsors every winter in Cabo.:)

4. I'm in the slightly overspraying corners camp. Q sprays are very inefficient nozzles in my opinion.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Cabo? More like at the Howard Johnson's restaurant in Lake Placid. One thing that made throwing water into corners a bit easier was the old adjustable-trajectory Safe-T-Lawn heads. Kind of nice when you can restrict the overthrow to just a foot or two.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

we tried some hunter 6 ft vans for a small tight area....this is on a well pushing 25 GPM....

im still not impressed..aslo not impressed with the toro 570 6 Q nozzles...

I hate tight areas!!!landscrapers should make it easy for us irritators...
    Anyone ever mixed micro sprays with full sprays???
    Just a question!

::prepares for a bombardment about precip rates::

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I throw into corners all the time.

I've also sleeved heads using ABS. I've found that heads sometimes stick as dirt and crap gets around the sleeve and up on the wiper seal.

8. Yes-I've mixed the Hunter micros with fulls. wasn't happy about it but nothing else was working and these did.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

What was the application.

a few misters? and a bunch of sprays? or vice verse...

I have never tried it but it seems like it could work.....

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Peter is planning a pre-emptive strike in the Pungent Sound area that will consist of special ops irrigators sneaking in under cover of darkness and glueing caps on your ABS. Then when the local defenders are out taking care of the problem the main forces will just waltz right in on the local adult brew shop and set up house. :) :laugh: