Heads up for Walker owners...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JJ Lawn, Sep 25, 2005.

1. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If any of you have a Walker purchased late last year or early this year, have your dealer check out the rims if you have the wide tires.

Seems that there is a manufacturing defect in some of them, that will cause the wheel to come of while your mowing or whatever.... The holes for the bolts does not have enough, or heavy enough bevel on them to hold the rim to the hub tightly. Bolts will work loose and back out.

I know, It happend to mine. Dealer replaced both rims at no charge, after I called Walker and asked them about why my tire fell off. Dealer was trying to charge me $175 for repair, on the one tire that fell off. Also had to replace hub, as bolts stripped out threads before they fell out.

From my understanding, Walker is not making a recall on this problem but are replacing rims under warrenty as they are reported. I also heard that if your warranty runs out, you are stuck for repairs.

My mechinac told me that there are some date or manufacturing code stamped on the rims that have this problem. Do not know what these codes are, but this is what he told me.

3-14, 4-14, or 5-14

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work on Walkers a lot and have not heard any thing about this. Only ever had a rim problem once a few years back. The owner did not torque the wheel bolt. The bolt head are stamped 85-95 FT/LB.

3. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, now you have heard about it.... :)