Heads Up: Google Places now Google+ Local

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by tonygreek, May 30, 2012.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

The evolution of Google+ continues, this time with the absorption of Google Places.

---------
    Here’s a brief overview of what’s new and what’s changing:

• The substitution of the new Google+ Local pages (as mentioned) for Google Places pages
    • The appearance of a “Local” tab within Google+
    • The integration and free availability of Zagat reviews (its entire archive across categories)
    • The integration of Google+ Local pages across Google properties (search, Maps, mobile)

• Integration of a circles filter to find reviews/recommendations from friends/family/colleagues
    ----------
    http://searchengineland.com/google-...the-center-of-gravity-for-local-search-122770

-

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sooooo... what you're saying is I need to blow the cobwebs off my Google+ page?

I understand that Google's development model is to throw something out there half-finished and tweak it as they go, and occasionally they'll yank an underperformer (ie, Wave). Sure makes it hard to hit a moving target though.

3. tonygreek

Lol...yep. There are quite a few changes to pay attention to. Definitely is more visually appealing, so that's a start.

They'll migrate your page over automatically. I have some sites that have migrated, some that have not.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Great link, btw. I'm working my way through the info on Blumenthals right now too. I Any word if they'll be using an algo similar to FB where the more people who see/interact with your page means more exposure? My concern with that is outside of the tech community, no one's on it.

5. tonygreek

Influence and interaction is used for Google+ Search Rank, but how it factors into the general search pool, I'm not sure of weight. I would work under the assumption that Google will do what they can to drive the + growth, and inflating the value is definitely one way of doing so.