Heads up Indiana .. Tree-killing bug has invaded Carmel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leadarrows, Jan 23, 2006.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

The emerald ash borer has invaded Carmel. “Thousands of ash trees in Carmel and surrounding towns could die in coming years as the larvae of an Asian beetle munch their way through the area, state Department of Natural Resources officials said Friday.”

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060121/NEWS01/601210439/1006

You need to identify which of your clients might be affected and educate them that they may lose there Ash trees. This way you won’t inadvertently be blamed and you will be who they think of when it’s time for them to come down. Even if you’re not comfortable with doing the work yourself now is the time to set up a deal with an arborist and either sub out the work or position yourself to make some referral profits. It’s sad to see these trees go but go they will so here’s your heads up..

2. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

Good to see your ready. Up North here it's hit hard. My mother has worked with the state and DNR for the last three years trying to stop this. Thier is a treatment they can have done to help. I have been told it cost $150 and up depending on the size of the tree and it must be done yearly or bi-yearly. I think they have decided not to set trap trees and cut. If they were doing that you would see some nice trees come down fast. I have seen entier wood destroyed by this little bug. They have been setting trap trees (cutting a band all the way around the tree and applying a material that it attract the bug to see if thier in the area) Those of you that have not yet had this bug enter your state do what you can to keep it out. DO NOT TRANSPORT FIRE WOOD ACROSS STATE LINES!!!!! Sorry to go on and on but it's sad to see so many trees being go.
    bt

3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

We planted 400 autumn purples there in carmel last year. All atleast 7in diameter. For the Founder of Dura Homes.

4. Bulldog26

I can't see the state going though Carmel putting orange x's on trees in some of those area's. I wouldn't want to be the person going door to door telling them their going to be cutting thier tree down in the fall.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Merit is working pretty good up here (We're in the core zone for the last 10 years). Injection is best and the treatment should be done on a preventative basis. Once a tree is infected with EAB, you might as well get out the chainsaw.

6. Bulldog26

I'm glad to hear it's working. Am I correct on the cost? I wish it would kill them. It really has started to move across the state here. What else can I tell my customers about treatment and what kind of cert. do you have to have to apply it? Thanks for any help.
    bt

7. Grassmechanic

Yes, Merit is a little pricy. It can cost upwards of $150/tree, but Merit (Imidicloprid) is coming off of it's patent and will be manufactured by other companies as a generic. The price should come down then. Treatment needs to be done BEFORE infestation. Treatment will need to be done yearly. Michigan Dept. of Ag is recommending that only trees with aesthetic or landscape value be treated. You can get more info at www.michigan.gov/mda This pest is likely to cause damage to the Ash trees of America on a scale larger than that of the Dutch Elm Disease. We've lost millions of Ash in S.E. Michigan, and I've been cutting down Ash on my personal property as a result.

8. Bulldog26

Great information! Sorry to hear you have lost trees. Keep people informed.
    bt

9. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Some kind of Japanease bettle attacked here in Tennessee a couple of years back eating pines I think. It was definatly a mess.

Be sure to keep them up there with ya :)

10. Grassmechanic

These little buggers take no prisoners. Keep an eye out for them, they're coming to a neighborhood near you! Thank the Chinese for sending them here!:gunsfirin