Heads up on Savio UV bulbs

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by koiman, Dec 19, 2007.

1. koiman

koiman LawnSite Member
    from So.Cal

You guys can be the judge on this, but it makes a bit concerned:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1160995&postcount=1

Just to be made aware of this just in case you are about to purchase these units.......or have.

!!!!CAUTION - LEAVE PLASTIC WRAP ON BULB - CAUTION!!!!

If you can't open thread:

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I was reading that last night
    There seems to be a be a big difference between what the installer said and Savio

Savio said it would take hours to get the film off, the installer said he did it in less than 15 minutes. Did you see the picture of the product it has a thin strip down one side like it is a zipper to take the "protective" film off

Sounds like Savio did a cheap retro on the bulb

Anyway.........Don't do that

3. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Hi, Cindy from Koiphen.

Savio did replace the lights after pages and pages of our members posting, phone calls and other pond builders jumping in. Next problem is their screws rusting.

Seems Savio promised to replace a members screws 3 weeks ago and he's still waiting. Luckily we have the presidents telephone number.

Shame I have Savio and have always supported their products. The saga continues.

4. William Burnison

William Burnison LawnSite Member

I am not quite sure what to think of this. I remember the same thing happened several years ago when people were trying to get the lawn mower companies to put a label on the machines that says "Don't place hands or feet under mower while engine is engaged".

I have used Savio products for years and I love the new UVinex UV system. And they did change the manual that states do not remove the plastic coating. Although the earlier ones did not state to leave it on they did talk about why it was there. "A new protective plastic coating eliminates the need for the quartz sleeve".

Sometimes I think we are a little hard on some of the manufacturers when we think there might be a problem we look at it from our point of view and no other. I have always known Savio to stand behind their products with NO questions asked if it is clearly an issue of manufacture or design. If it borders on neglect or negligence then I would think we could look at things a little different.

I had a Savio bulb burn out, (customers fault), and before I replaced it, I tried to peel this plastic coating off and it was "NOT" easy to do. So for the gentleman, (and I mean this with respect), I would have had to stop after the first one and wonder why this "removable" plastic coating is so hard to remove and call Savio and ask them why it is so difficult to get this off. Then you would be out only one bulb, which they offered to replace, and we would not be having this conversation.

If anyone may disagree with this, I would have to ask you to try it before you comment on it. Savio has treated my business well over the years and does stand behind their products.

I am however, glad to see that Savio has made the change to their print material so that this should not be an issue in the future as their UV system is one of the highest rated systems in the market according to independent research, (and not Savio).

5. SWPONDBLDR

SWPONDBLDR LawnSite Member

I have only used Savio and have never had any problems. The plastic coating is a blessing compared to the quartz sleeves that most units use. Quartz sleeves are brittle and break easily and are expensive to replace. For you contractors who know how much time can be spent doing maintenance this is a blessing.

Regarding DWEAVE44 from KIOPHEN.....I still haven't stopped laughing about that. I was curious about the coating when I saw it too but when I saw no quartz sleeve in the box that prompted me to call and find out why. Why did Dweave44 from KOIPHEN not do this???? He said he bought 7 so I'm assuming he had a big job so he had to be experienced right?? Or was this a rookie mistake? Hmmmm Besides I heard Savio took care of this.

Does Cindy from KOIPHEN ever stop complaining? Screws??? Are you serious?? Call out the lynchmob again Cindy....someone didnt get some screws. LOL!!!