Heads-up\ run 89 octane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Feb 28, 2002.

How many of you read your equipments owner manuls>

1. Yes, I always do

29 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I sometimes do

12 vote(s)
  3. No, I never bother

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just thought I would let you guys\gals be aware of my expensive lesson that I got today.

This month I replaced my older line trimmers. Bought a Shindiawa T-231(replaces the 230) and an Echo split shaft PAS-260. The Echo had about 5 hrs on it and the 231 about 12hrs.

The 231 was getting to be a pain to run when outside temps got warm. Beggining of the day and end of day would not have a problem.

The PAS-260, after working with it today for 5 hrs, engine siezed on me.

Took both machines back to my dealer\mechanic and told him what happend.

As some of you know, California,because of stricter emmission requirements than the Feds, has always had different gas than other parts of the country. We've been stuck using a new formula since November of 2001.

The reason for the siezed engine and the poor performance was due to this new formula gasoline, which should hit other parts of U.S. by mid 2003. With this new formula gas, you have to use a minimum 89 octane. I've always have used 87 without any problems for the last 25 years until now. My shop guy said that all the equipment that I run should be run on 89 octane.

Just wanted to give a heads up to the rest of the crowd so you all don't have to go thru this painful and expesive lesson.

2. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have a RedMax Trimmer & Echo blower bought from seperate dealers both told me they recomend using only 87 octane. Have not had any problems with either.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It may be recommended, but last year I switched over just to see. I was pleasantly surprised. I could tell a difference when I put it in. Ran smoother and stronger. I run only 89 in all equipment.
  4. Oh, I may have ommitted this on my main post, this only effects the model 2001 CA. Carb 2 models that will be showing up in the rest of the country by 2003. Not everbody right now are getting the new less emmission\cleaner burning models yet. So, this won't affect you now but later.

5. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Correct me if I am wrong. I heard that the higher the octane the higher the temperature in the engine. Since I live in Texas I might stay at 87 octane.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I run 91 in everything..
  7. point

point LawnSite Member
    from mn

I run 87 in everything.
    Actually the higher the octane the less chance of detonation or ping.
    If your engine doesn't ping on 87 it really doesn't ping on 92.
    It would be very very hard to get any of our low compression engines to ping with 87.
    92 burns very slightly cooler than 87 because there is slightly burnables per volume ( some of the fuel is replaced with lead or other anti knocks which don't burn )
    The California fuel formula might contain some alcohol which reduces the amount of heat flowing through the jets and that
    leans the mixture out. Alcohol has much less heat than gasoline. This can over heat your engine. If we don't rejet our snowmobiles fatter, when running leaner alcohol fuel, we can burn them up in minutes, 92 or 96 wouldn't help at all.
  8. Same here now, I used to run 87 in the mowers and 93 octain in the 2 stroke stuff.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the cause of the problem is the fact that under the law a company doesn't have to inform it customers of the fact that it is using achohol in its gas, if the mixture is less than 10%. Achohol and oil do not mix. There lies the siezing problem. The higher octane fuels cannot achieve their octane rating while using a mixture of achohol. So the solution is to use only the higher octane fuels for your 2 cycle equipment.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

The higher the octane the cooler the engine will run. A little secret I used to do when I was into racing snomobiles, after coming down the straight away, getting ready to go into the corner was to burp the throttle to get cold fuel into the cylinders to cool them off. I still do this practice with my 2-strke trimmers, after a session of full-throttle trimming, I burp the throttle on them. Just a thought, see ya