1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Heads up: Trailer prices on the RISE!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rook00, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Just a heads-up, fellas:

As most of you know, the price of steel and plywood have skyrocketed. Haulmark has increased prices 6%, among most other companies. My local trailer dealer (many brands) is having to increase prices about $20/week on base open trailers and HUNDREDS on enclosed trailers ($4100-$4800)! Buy now or wait till the end of the summer (scrap-metal might be dropping in price and China/Japan has bought up most of the steel they need [that's a good thing]) Still probably good to buy now.

What are your trailer places doing?

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I talked to the place I have build my trailer, he wouldnt even give me a solid price until I actually placed the order for a trailer, he said its varying alot just day by day also.

3. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I know what you mean about steel prices going up. I just finished building my trailer on Saturday. I ordered the steel 2 1/2 weeks ago. I ordered my steel on a Monday. If I would have ordered it the friday before I would have saved about 30%. A length of steel went from $20 to $28 over the weekend.

A friend of mine was looking at a dump trailer last month. He went to buy it on Saturday and the price was up. I think he said it went up like $500. He asked the salesman why and the salesman told him steel prices were rising. He said why does that matter know this trailers been here for 4 months. The salesman wouldn't budge so he didn't buy it.

The guy that delivered my steel said that the Chinese would be done buying all their steel in about 4 months. So hopefully then prices will come back down. I doubt it, but lets hope.

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I know how you can avoid the price increases.... buy used

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I apid $1200 for a 5x10 OPEN about a year ago.. are you telling that it will be MORE?

6. bhm

bhm LawnSite Member

the cost of all equipment is going up it sucks

7. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

That's more than I spent building my own 6x16 with 18" beavertail and folding side ramp. Tandem axel with brakes.
    Granted it took me some time to build it. Bid jobs in the morning and worked on trailer in the afternoon.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Rook,
    Maybe you should stroll down to Jerry James Trailers in Sikeston, MO. I just ordered a 6.5x12 from them and they actually were lowering the price because tires were going down, and a few other things.

9. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Well, you can still find good deals here and there. Also, most places will still sell their in-stock stuff for what they've got in them. . . my local seller never has anything in stock. . . everything coming in is ordered and goes right back out.

10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

The Chinese are building some big Hydroelectric plants which will be the biggest in the world! That is why the price is so high.