1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NAT, Oct 1, 2006.

1. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

I have question ,on alot of my propertys i have alot rotors and fixed spray's not going down when the zone is finshed ,they are old 600 toro's ,could it be trash ,dirt or just old head's ?it only seems to be on the places this guy service's .he has been known to rebuld head's and replace them .im thinking about taking the account's next year ,and replacing the old heads ,its about 10 year's old .
  2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like its time to replace with new heads. 7-10 years on a head is about right.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I see more Toro heads stick that anything else. Time to replace.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Old Toro Super600's were notorious for staying popped up. Then, the nozzle gets knocked off by the mower. Since this often happened without anything actually breaking, the nozzle could be replaced. A genuine fix would require replacing the seal. (they had problems with the seal for awhile)

Funny thing is, seal aside, it looks like there are more ancient Super600's still in service than there are Hunter Series 75 (now PGP) rotors.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd replace the Super 600's, though sometimes its hard to get an exact coverage replacment. I usually use a PGP.

You could probaly make it pop down again if you raised the head back to the proper grade (I'm sure the turf has built up on it over the last 10 years) and replaced the wiper seal, but you can replace it just as fast for a few bucks more.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The riser part is prone to "etching" which sometimes leads to the sprinkler sticking up. The body and seals are the same as the Toro 300 Stream Rotor.

We still have a few in the ground that are working just fine. However, when they go out we do not put 600s back in.
  7. PurpHaze

We replace Super 600s with Hunter I-20s (ADS or 36S only) with a #6 nozzle (or lower depending on what the original 600 nozzle is) and the coverage is actually better. In a residential or small commercial situation I guess the PGP would work fine based on its available radii via nozzle variety.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro gives two different part numbers for the seals for 300's and Super600's ~ changing S600 seals wasn't always worth it, considering the time involved, but sometimes an entire system could be retrofitted with new seals, if it was one of the unfortunate ones that used heads made with the first revision to the seal. (there was a legal problem with the original seal, which worked fine, but infringed on another patent)
  9. PurpHaze

In our case the retrofitting involves replacing the whole sprinkler with a Hunter I-20 w/ stainless steel riser. The amount of sprinkler riser pop, nozzle variety and ease of adjustment through the top of the I-20s instead of the side button on the Super 600s makes it worth it to us to change the entire sprinkler out. Done right to an entire Super 600 zone shows improved coverage results within a very short time.

Another plus is that the I-20s are slightly longer in the body than the Super 600s and in those cases where the original 600s are too low due to soul buildup the I-20s replace them at a good height without having to raise the swing joints. This is also the reason why we stock 6" Hunter I-40s since they retrofit low Toro 640s and 4" Hunter I-40s in about 30 seconds, from uncovering to recovering the grade. The 640s get tossed and the 4" I-40s get rinsed off and reused somewhere else.
  10. PurpHaze

Another observation on the Toro S600s: If one is out of adjustment it's most likely the nozzle has loosened up on the riser and has spun. Very rare that someone has monkeyed whith the adjustment button because very few people know how to find it when the sprinkler is in the ground. :laugh: