1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Headsets, good idea or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jan 24, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Here is the situation. I have about 1/2 my customers with at least 2 acres or larger of turf. I know that many of you go through this same problem:

"You see something wrong or something that needs to be fixed or maybe a question so you have to walk across the lawn to find the other employee at the time to ask his opinion."

What I was thinking was outfitting my employees with headsets for they can talk back and forth to each other without having to get off from the mowers. I thought that it would say time, money and hassle.

What do you think??? :confused:
  2. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

Have you ever seen such a thing? How much do they cost? I'd buy a set. Until then I just use my mental telepathy or wing a rock at them.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never seen another LCO use them before, but of course you have to stay ahead of the game and find ways to increase production and save time and money.
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate gettin rocks winged @ me. It hurts and if anyone did that 2 me I throw 1 > bak and hit them too.:p
  5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about this also but then I figured the employee would walk all the way across the lawn to say "what;I couldn't hear you?'
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have thought of this for when my wife and I are mowing. I believe one of the Peltor headsets have the ability to plug into a FRS radio. I think that would be too much hanging on your head and belt just to talk, but that is for us.
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

From some of the horror stories I've read on here about employees being disfunctional I have to wonder if some of them could talk and work at the same time. For some folks 'multi-tasking' is not an option. :dizzy:

I would worry about some of the young bucks getting caught up gabbing about some sunbathing filly over in the next lawn...and running the ZRT off into the client's pool...or into the clients house. :D

I say all of this 'tongue in cheek' of course..........;)
  8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I always had thought this would be a great idea for large commercial props/ or condo complexes with lots of ins & outs to keep in contact with each other to make sure nothing was missed etc. We don't service any properties of that nature so I haven't looked into them yet but i do think its a great idea....of course it can have some downsides as well...but all & all it sounds good to me.

We just use our Nextels rite now...they work to an extent if you leave them on vibrate...sometimes you can notice it going off in your pocket over the vibration of your machine.

9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 2 hand-held radios for a big church I used to service...it worked pretty well, but we only got to use them twice before they cancelled our service...I have also thought about what your question asks...I checked into it, I think Peltor has a dedicated radio head set which was perfect...it provided noise protection for your ears and was a 2-way radio...the down-side, they we're $500.00 for 1, not a pair...to expensive for my blood....they may have lowered the price, this was 2 years ago...think I saw them at Grainger.com...
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

We used them when I use to landscape for a company. We just used them when we ran the hydroseeder. There was always a man at the controls to either kill the pump or go to rinse. They didn't last long, much easier to yell.