Headstone trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RCSindiana, Feb 22, 2010.

1. RCSindiana

RCSindiana LawnSite Member

Im working a bid on multiple township owned cemeteries. They specify no weedeaters or weedkiller around the headstones. It is a bi weekly mow with once a month trimming around headstones. I have contacted them on which procedure they request for the trimming but have got no response back yet. Has anyone ran into this before? What was expected to do the trim work? Thanks in advance.

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

They must want you to get one of them new magic wands and make the grass shorter with that.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

4. RCSindiana

Wow, Neat piece of equipment. I will be trying a demo on one of those. Thanks for the link.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Kawasaki has a reciprocator also

6. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I think they don't want the weed wacker because of scatching the stones. Wouldn't the reciprocator scatch the stones also. And it would be kind of slow.

7. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

One of mine is this way, cut twice a month weedeat once. You can get in a bind on some months because its longer than two weeks. You end up with alot of grass.
    They do this because of money. If you cant use a weedeater what would you use?

8. RCSindiana

I finally got it down to use a weedeater but be careful:hammerhead: I wasnt sure my insurance would cover my guys with scissors in their hand. I will definately demo a reciprocator to see the speed and the ability to not damage headstones. Telling a employee to be careful is like speaking russian to them.

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

hand pull:) But then again they would not want to pay that bill.

James

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We did a 5 acre cemetary last year. NEVER again. The trimming was much more time consuming than I had accounted for. The mowing with all the obsticles made it slower also.
    My advice...whatever you come up with in time and price estimates, increase by 75%.