1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

headstones in cemetery's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpiper, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tpiper

tpiper LawnSite Member

i am looking for an easier way to trim around headstones other than using stringline trimmer or spraying. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I think you've named the only 2 options. I have maintained a cemetery for 15 years and have never been allowed to spray. Trimmers only and believe me I have racked my brain.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah they like them to look nice, especially around the hollidays so for now trimmer is only way to go. I wouldn't spray roundup unless you get their approval first and they will more than likely say no.
  4. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I saw this company that makes a trimming that goes on the end of a mowing deck I will try to find the name of the company 4 you
  5. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

The best way I got around trimming is to find good help and pay them good! And give them good quality trimmers to use. Making sure that you can find a good light trimmer is always on my mind when making such purchases.
  7. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've mowed one cemetery for 19 years. Before I started someone had sprayed around the stones. The rains would wash the dirt,which tends to be fill dirt, from around the stones. String trimming seems to be the best way. I used a Flex-Deck for four years but I don't think that it saved much time overall.
  8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Try scissors. However I would be willing to bet that whatever you are doing now is easier.
  9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a growth regulator. I take care of 1 large and 1 small cemetery and we just keep the headstones trimmed.
  10. tpiper

tpiper LawnSite Member

thanks to all who have replied so far, i was afraid that trimming was probably my only option. will also look into the growth regulator.