Health and Medical Ins.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawns by Steve, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

I was wanting some input on health insurance. Do any of you guys carry it and who through?:dizzy:

2. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Look at Blue Cross Blue Shield here in Oklahoma... they had the best rate for me and have always paid out well, reimbursments for prescriptions are always fast to come in, etc. Their site is http://www.bcbsok.com/

3. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

Thanks Ace

4. leannesinclair

leannesinclair LawnSite Member

I went the route of joining an association with small annual dues but big benefits for insurance. In my area, I joined the Tennessee Farm Bureau, which I pay $25 annual dues on. I was able to get Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage (health and dental) through the association for a rate much better than insuring directly through BCBS (it basically works out to 'group coverage' rates at TFB, vs individual rates directly through BCBS). I saved closed to $200 a month! Just might be something to check into, not sure if there is anything like this in your area....

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

My girl's gonna be teaching in about a year and then we're gettin married and our insurance is gonna be awesome. I can't wait. I haven't had any since I got out of the military:clapping:

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Holly smokes!!!! I am a member of the New Jersey Farm Burea. I currently have Horizon blue cross and blue sheild of NJ directly and pay $431 a month.Didnt realize I had these benefits of membership until you mentioned it and I looked at my benifits sheet. HOW MUCH WERE YOU PAYING AS OPPOSED TO NOW?Although they state United Healthcare.Thanks

7. leannesinclair

leannesinclair LawnSite Member

When I was looking at Insurance directly through BCBS, they wanted upwards of $350 per month for individual coverage. Through FB, I have all the same benefits, plus dental, for $131 per month. Really, cannot beat that rate and have full coverage, plus a low deductible.

8. Premier_Lawn

Premier_Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if CT would have something like that or who should i call that could lead me in the right direction. I'm new to the industry and just trying to out way some options. Me and my GF are talking about getting married and once she gets benefits I'm right on there so i can quit my god forsaken job and be able to dedicate fully to what i love to do.

9. thes

thes LawnSite Member

Do you have to be a farmer to be a member and get the benefits?

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

HSA(health savings account) is the best way to go..
    it is basically like an IRA but you write off the money you put in, AND dont pay tax on the money taken out.. you must couple this with a high deductable plan .. the min deductable in 07 is $1100/year .. this way, your covered if anything really bad happens, but if nothing does, the money u got in your HSA grows and grows .. and you can stop putting money in cuz you have enough and can be used for retirement if u never use it..
    you can invest in mutual funds in the HSA as well... i would suggest having at least that years deductable in cash in your HSA ...

its really a great concept. i went with a plan with a $1850 deductable .. and $60 monthly premium. .. i dont ever use it... i put the 1850 in my hsa.. and now i just pay 60/month forever while my 1850 grows and grows.

and walla , im covered for anything bad happens.

this takes the profit from the insurance company, lets you earn interest on it, and is all around kick ass.