Health Benefits from Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, wanted to bring up something I was thinking about. I m still a young guy and weigh about 175-180 in the winter. I noticed by summer i weigh only about 170, and this is b/c of mowing I believe. Working outside all day is pretty good physical activity. I was just wondering from some of you other guys, do you consider mowing to be great exercise and can you tell a difference? Also, I try to lift some weights at least three times a week. Just thought it would make for an interesting thread. So let me hear from ya, your thoughts on mowing as exercise.
    EHO

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've noticed 2 things about exercise and mowing. The first is that weight training and just being in shape has allowed me to work at a much more efficient rate. I can accomplish so much more if I am in good physical shape. The other thing is that mowing, well trimming and blowing, unless your push mowing, really builds my endurance. I know it's good exercise for me to trim and push mow.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Gained 20lbs in the off season. Started working out again to get the endurance level back for this season.

4. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

health benefits.....

sunburn, breathing engine exhaust, scratched and scared arms, and smelling like grass all the time, AND I LOVE IT! lol

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Health Benefits from Mowing
    #1 sunscreen if you don't use it when your young you will spend alot of time in the Dr. office and the hospitals when you get a little older. Dam skin cancer shows up way faster than you would expect. and I don't care what kind of shape your in.

Mac

6. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

True if your white, But not if your permabrown like myself and other pacific Islanders.

7. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Not only sun screen but sunglasses as well...very very important. And for those of us with shaved heads especially...hats are a must. During the off season I weight train but my weight still always goes up 10 to 20 pounds..but then summer rolls around and I lose it again. This year I am going to try and do some weight training before work everyday...not as heavy as during the winter...but enough to keep the strength that I have gained and not lose all my energy for a long days work...

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

But ....you still can get skin cancer and should still wear sunblock. I found this fact on skincancer.org .

While melanoma is uncommon in African-Americans, Latinos, and Asians, it is most deadly for these populations.

I assume due to the fact that the cancer spots blend in more with skin tone and not easily detected until too late. WWW.skincancer.org has lots of info on skin cancer for us outdoor workers.

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think cutting grass is excellent physical activity.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

The exercise is great,

It's constantly breathing in pollutants from exhaust and exposure to pesticides (even wearing ppe, etc) that scares the shiznet out of me.

I am actually in the process of trying to reduce emissions from my equipment by using more 4 cycle tools, maybe even some electric for hedge trimmers.

If battery powered equipment of any type existed that was commercial duty/powerful I would pay double for it assuming it functioned like the things we use now.

PS MoGreen has 666 posts as of his last thread :angry: . "Maybe it was, hmmmmm, I don't know......Satan!" (church lady ala SNL)