Health concerns due to gas powered mowers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by A1Green, Jun 30, 2005.

1. A1Green

A1Green LawnSite Member

While on the subject of allergies, I figured I'd bring up (if it hasnt been already) the problem that gas powered lawn mowers (or any other gas powered equipment for that matter) may have on ones health, especially if your using them all day, 5-6 days a week.
    Has anyone had health problems, long or short term with the gas fumes these mowers omit?
    I've been in business for 9 years and I'm pretty certain over this period of time, it has taken some toll on my health.
    Breathing in these toxic gas fumes simply cannot be healthy for anyone, no matter how "used" to it they think or say they are.
    Just wondering what you all thought about the potential effects of long term exposure to these gas fumes from these mowers.

Craig in CT

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

While there is bound to be some effect, remember you are out in the open with relatively small engines. The exhaust gases can spread out rapidly so you are not breathing the same concentration as if you were in a confined area. I would bet you are breathing less exhaust fumes per hour than a commuter in rush hour traffic in a metro area.

Personally I worry a lot more about UV exposure from the sun. And the toll on shoulder, hip and knee joints.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I grew up in the Steel Mill section of Chicago. At times you could wash your car and 15 minutes later it was covered with dust and soot from a blast furnace that popped. Men worked in these places all their lives. Yes some of them got sick but I know many who lived into their seventies and eighties. They would come home covered in dirt. It is one of the most hostile work environments you can find.
    They did not worry about getting allergies or sick, they just worked. I will tell you that you should not worry about fumes or disease. Be aware of it but in the grand scheme you will die from whatever God wants you to die from when He is ready. Enjoy your work and your life, be as safe as you feel you should but don't let it get to you. I am not saying to run out and be a careless fool but everyones tolerance to toxins is different. We are wonderful machines and they have a tendancy to take care of themselves alot of the time. Have fun.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Craig,
    Welcome to LS. Where in CT are you?