1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

health ins premiums..tax write off?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GarPA, Mar 31, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

My accountant left me a message yesterday asking what my total health ins premiums were for '03. Have not called him back yet but he seems to be inferring that I can write off this as an 'expense'. Duh...I've never included this premium as a write off item...is this a write off I can take?

this year we're getting the ins from my wifes employer as the rates are better than what I can get thru the business
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

100% of it Gary.
  3. raintreelawns

raintreelawns LawnSite Member

You betcha! I've owned my own business for over 7 years now and have taken it off every year. It is a HUGE deduction for me.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks guys....man I just thought that this was a personal expense that we all just have to absorb...now this is a pleasant surprise...hey Rod....can you say Cha-Ching!!
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For 2002 it was a 70% writeoff. For 2003 and after it is a 100% writeoff.

If you didn't do this in the past you may want to talk with the accountant about possibly re-filing the previous returns. It could make some $$ differences. Happens all the time.
  6. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

The tax law changed in 04 and you can deduct 100% of your
    premium payments. As long as you paid for them from your
    business. In other words if the benefits come from your wife's
    employer, the premium is not deductible.
  7. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

Yes you can take it as a deduction....100% is correct. I will come off to figure your adjusted gross income.
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The other thing I found out is if the total of all medical (prescription co pay, doctor copay, eyeglasses,contacts, dental, ect ect, other than your insurance premiums, if they account for 7.5% of your yearly income that is a deduction as well.

My dad first informed me of this one, then I heard it on the radio as well. I did not have that last year but with the baby bills this year I surely will.

We have started saving recipts, and I will get reprints next time I go to the doc, the dentist, just in case I am missing any.
  9. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

You can also deduct mileage for trips to and from the doctor....this year is it 12 cents per mile
  10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Also if you have life insurance its also deductible.