Health insurance question??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Feb 10, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I hope this doesn't get moved so here goes. For you full time guys who don''t have a wife with good benefits. What do you do? What have you bought for Health ins.? Insurance on my full time job gets worse every year an more expensive. I will probably end up buying my own unless I find a little honey that has good ins. "Humm.... it would probably be cheaper to just buy insurance"

Thanks.

-Paul

2. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's an excellent plan but I pay around $170 a month, and I'm under 30.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Newbomb, my wife does have the family plan at work but its about 300 a month. I dont know how we would afford it if she did not. I know some folks my age that are paying 500+ a month that are self-employed.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Same as captaingreen 38 here

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just started a search for health ins. in NY for myself and wife.

I'm looking at around at least $750/ month with dental. Holy F.......'in Shoot.

That's $9,000 per year. :dizzy:

:help:

Might just take my chances. I think that the thought of that is making me sick. Better not get sick, can't afford it. :cry:

6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks CG I have Blue Cross through Carefirst at work. The "broker" screws with the coverage and cost every year at open enrollment. If you will, send me an email or post here the name or type of plan you carry. (if you can find out). I plan to go full time mowing this year and this insurance crap is just one more reason to do it.

7. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the way I look at my medical plan. There are cheaper monthly plans, but being self employed I can fully deduct the monthly premium for my insurance (business), however I cannot deduct my copays or my prescription cost (personal). So obviously if I am going to be paying for it either way, I'll opt for the tax benefit and let my business pay for it. I also have a very low deductible.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

750 a month!! How can anyone afford that? It gets worse every year. I have been using a health discount plan for the last 2 years. 29.95 a month and it has saved me money on eyecare, saved about 50% on a dental procedure I had. It can save you alot at the doctor. I realize if I had cancer or something like that I will be paying medical bills forever, but I keep getting denied insurance because of the arthritis I have. This is the best I can do. So far it has worked out great. Check it out if you are interested.
    www.ppobenefits.com

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you own your own business, you should look into healthy New York. You would have to put your wife on the books though I believe. Not too sure, but the rates are alot cheaper than that. :)

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Alfa, BC&BS .....costs us 780.00 every 2 months. I have to pay prescriptions up frt and doctor visits unless the deductible is met.

Hopefully my wife will be working soon and we can get rid of this.