Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scooby, Sep 21, 2003.

1. scooby

scooby LawnSite Member

Where do ya'll find your health insurance? What do you pay? I know it differs depending on how healthy the provider is and if they smoke etc. Throw me some ideas and numbers please. Scooby:D

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

All I know is that NASE (Nat'l Assoc. for the Self Employed - which is mostly just a front for an insurance company) seems very spendy and covers very little. Avoid them.

3. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

are you sitting down?

Blue cross. blue shield
    currently $800/ mo - good prescription plan, well visits...

we are going to ...
    $130/mo...nothing covered but surgeries...no rX, no well visits, very high deductable.

No smokers, exceptional health, 4 kids, 2 adults (28 and 43). And I am gonna tell you - it increases every 4-6 months. The monthly amount was killin us. We had to do some number crunching.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

In the Latest Landscape & Irrigation magazine, Editor Jerry Roche wrote a viewpoint article on Health Insurance. Within the article he quoted Ed Wandtke, a green industry consultant as saying "In almost every instance, you automatically get an increase if you stay with the same carrier; if you switch, the rate will go down."

This is something to consider.

5. scooby

scooby LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch. This is like having a big brother that knows all the answers.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Health insurance is a big problem for a lot of self employed people. Be careful in switching health insurance companies or sometimes even policies because there is usually a 1 year waiting period for pre-existing health conditions to be covered.

7. mower_babe

we will continue to stay with BC/BS, bc they have always been a good provider and it is not worth it to us to switch all of the time - all of the physicals and medical questionnaires. JMO

8. scooby

scooby LawnSite Member

I guess I'm looking at about $800.00/mo then. 2 adults 3 children.

9. mower_babe

Scooby, I would not base what you will pay on what we pay - talk to several companies. I am sure that age, med history and other things are factored in - yours could be higher or lower. A point here- no pregnancies are covered under ours -- it is an additional $300+ a month for maternity coverage and I believe you have to wait 360 days before one is covered. Just something to keep in mind - also no dental and no vision. Look long and hard, bud.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member