Health Insurance??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GFTC, Oct 26, 2004.

1. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

For those of you full time guys...do you carry the health ins. for your families, or are you blessed enough to have a wife who has a job with health benefits?
    I work full time for Toshiba so my benefits are great, but I can't wait to go solo in the next couple of years. I'm just afraid of what I might have to pay for insurance.
    Brandon

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

when i was married it was 320 a month now i am single an its 140 per month hope that helps

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay for my family + 50% for eligible employees who want to participate.

4. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

Turfdude, do you mind me asking what you pay for your family?

5. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Wouldn't it be great if Lawnsite could secure an insurance sponsor that would also offer group rates to LCO's? Is this even a possibility? ;)

6. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

through my brothers company its $300 a month and each additional person is just as high maybe a lil less

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay 115 a month, with a 5000 deductible and a 3000 out of pocket expense. Couldn't afford health insurance for a while so when I finally could again, I had to wait a year for pre-existing conditions (hereditary high blood pressure) Had kidney stones this past april and with 3 surguries, they paid about 36000 (but I still owe the 8 grand for my part) Thank God I had what little coverage I had.

BTW, this is the cheapest insurance available in the state of NC. Im gonna hate my premiums next year. LOL

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

GFTC,

I got a quote for catastrophic ins. only @ $318 per month, 5k deductible & 3k out of pocket 80/20 coverage, wife & four daughters. Catastrophic is exactly what it implies only major injury or illness covered, if the kids have a runny nose you pay out of pocket the full amount.

Our CPA also told us about a before tax medical account, works basically like an employer sponsored before tax account in that it is money you contribute before taxes to be used for medical expenses not covered, daycare, etc. there is a whole list of medical & dependent care it may be used for.
    Example: Say you contribute $50 per month, you commit to this at the beginning of the new year, even though you have only made one contribution you are allowed to use effective at the beginning of the year all the money you will contribute or $600, because you are committed to making those contributions, remember this is before tax money. The best part is if you are a registered business owner, S.P. LLC or sub-s corp, you can roll over any unused money this year into the following year, can't do that when you are an employee for another co.

G-P :cool2:

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I pay $688 per month for family of four. Luckily we've had this insurance for years, my wife got it about 10 years ago, and it wasn't thru work.

For my $688 there's a $1000 co-pay for hospitalization, $20 doctor visits and co-pays for meds.

10. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I pay around $2300 for the year. This is medical only, no dental or vision. $1500 deductible.